33: Beyond the Wilds

" Opal, wait ! Please, I just want to say that I'm sorry for everything. " Bolin walked in front of Opal to force her to stop.

Opal crossed her hands in front of her chest. " I'm glad you're okay, but it's a little late for 'sorry'. "

Bolin took a deep breath. " I know, I know. I didn't listen to you, and I sided with Kuvira, and I helped her take over the Earth Kingdom, and topple your home, and get your mom captured, and your brothers, and your dad... "

Bolin paused noticing Opal frowning at him. " Wow, that does sound really bad when I say it out loud like that. But I'm gonna make it up to you. I promise. "

Kitiara looked at the side. Her family's current... situation is partly her fault too.

" Pardon me, lovebirds, but I need a word with Opal. " Lin cut in before things went worse for the lava bender.

She gestured to the side and the cousins walked in that direction. With the corner of her eyes, Kitiara saw her mother raising a hand at him.

" Privately. "

Bolin sighed and went to join Mako and Korra.

When they were finally alone; Lin gazed at Opal. " I'm sorry, kid, but Raiko couldn't convince the other leaders to attack Kuvira. "

Opal's eyes watered. " So our family... "

Kitiara swallowed hard.

" Looks like we're going to have to save them ourselves. " Lin responded.

" Don't you think some other people would agree to go with us ? Korra is willing to do anything I ask her for a while. " Kitiara suggested.

The chief shook her head. " This is an unsanctioned and dangerous mission into enemy territory. We can't ask other people to risk their necks for our family. If we want to break them out, we'll have to do it alone. "

Opal and Kitiara exchanged a glance.

" Just name the place and the time. "

***

" Just name the place and the time. "

Lin opened her mouth to reply but stopped as she saw Kitiara's head snap toward Korra and Mako who were speaking at a distance.

It was like something, out of sudden, grabbed the kyoshi warrior's attention.

The Beifongs turned to watch Jinora's spirit projection.

" Korra ! The vines ! They're taking me ! Help ! " Jinora shouted before vanishing.

Everything stayed still for a moment.

" I hate it when the spirits are doing this. " Kitiara commented with a displeased expression.

Opal was confused. " It was a spirit projection. You can do this one too. How can you hate it ? "

Lin patted her shoulder. " She wasn't speaking about Jinora. "

Opal raised an eyebrow in inquiry.

Kitiara sighed shaking her head and dropping the issue.

" Shit. "

***

After a second of complete silence, Lin pushed her shock and plenty of questions aside as she run toward her satomobile.

She needed to go to the Spirit Wilds and evacuate the nearby area.

Watching her mother leaving in hurry, she started following her.