eleven

• Mae •

Mae was a little surprised at how easy dinner went. It literally went off without a hitch. The food was amazing, but that was to be expected by now as her dad was pretty good at cooking. The conversation flowed nicely, which she was sure Chris appreciated as well. And no one broke anything, which also would have been expected, had it happened.

Mae and Chris were in the living room now, sitting on their phones and chatting idly, both pretty tired from the stressful day that they'd had.

"Hey Maisie, I'm driving Amanda back to her moms. Please be responsible." Her dad called to her from the front room.

She shot Chris an eye roll before she responded. "Okay, sounds good. Love you!"

"See ya, Mike!" Chris called from next to her, causing her to laugh, and she could've jumped for joy when she heard her father laughing too.

"This is a pretty cool place, I'm surprised that your dad is leaving it for Lowell. I guess I have no clue what Amanda's house is like, but it's nice here." Chris spoke quietly, like he was wondering how someone could just leave.

"Yeah, I grew up here too. My mom moved to Lowell after the divorce." Chris nodded. "Amanda's house is nice too, and it's closer to my moms so I'll get to see them more often."

"Would you still come into Boston on the weekends?"

"Probably, not as much, but I'd come. Only if you ride the train with me, though." She nudged him with her shoulder and then stood up. "Lemme give you a tour."

Chris chuckled, but stood up and walked behind her as she walked him through the house. She brushed over the kitchen, living room, and dining room as they had already spent a decent amount of time there. She showed him her dads office and the back porch.

A majority of what went on in the house was upstairs, so even though her dad had told her three times today to not go upstairs, she started her way up anyway.

"Didn't your dad say we couldn't go upstairs?" Chris looked nervous, like he didn't want to upset her father. It was sweet.

"Yeah but it's not like we're going to hang out in my room. I'm just showing you what's up there, most of our stuff is up there anyway." She shrugged, knowing that they weren't going to be doing anything wrong.

She was a little surprised when Chris followed, but she showed him her dads office and where his bedroom was, and the game room that they never really used anymore, her bathroom, and finally, her bedroom.

She only opened the door a little, not stepping inside, because with her luck, her dad had a sixth sense for that sort of thing.

"Cute," He smiled at her, "it's very you."

"It's me but minimalistic. My room at my moms house is cooler, but that's just because I spend more time there."

She closed the door and made her way back downstairs, thanking God that her dad hadn't chosen today to go 25 over the speed limit. By the time he did arrive back home, Mae and Chris were sprawled out over the couch, like they'd never left honestly.

When her dad called her into the next room for a minute, she didn't even question it. Just got up off the couch, adjusting Chris' comfortable position just enough that he wasn't comfortable anymore, and followed her dad into the entryway.