six

F L O R E N C E

My uniform is...cute. It is a navy blue skirt that ends at my mid thigh. Knee high white socks cover all the bruises on my legs. The quarter zip sweater is a navy blue with the private schools crest just above my heart. It's comfortable and simple. I can wear my hair however I like and my shoes, as long as they are black, are accepted as part of the uniform.

My skins pale. That's all I can think about. I don't wear makeup. What if the girls make fun of me? I am not much to look at. At my old school I would get the occasional comment or sneer from a peer in the hallways, but for the most part people let me be.

This is a school with rich, preppy, city kids. I am neither of those. I am quiet, small, and awkward. I can't make friends. No one will want to be my friend. They will all make fun of me and hate me and then I will be left alone to endure all the bullying from the kids who are spoiled and bratty.

Lucien won't do anything. He is probably embarrassed by me. He probably has a million friends who would love to make a jab at me. He will probably join in.

After Dominic and I came home from our skating adventure yesterday we had a very quiet and tense dinner. No one spoke. I had lost my appetite, feeling the urge to empty my stomach. When Lucien finished his dinner he went to leave but Emilio yelled at him to apologize to me.

Lucien scoffed and muttered an apology.

Massimo apologized on his behalf before leaving the table himself. He said it in his usual monotonous voice. I decided to leave shortly after that. When I got to my room I cried for an hour.

Truth is I am sensitive, and overwhelmed. I have school to worry about, my ribs aren't getting any better, and to top it all off, two of my brothers don't want me. I am used to the feeling of being unwanted but it stings every time.

"Florence are you almost ready?" Dominic calls from outside my room. Looking away from the mirror I mope over to the door throwing it open to see Dominic beaming down at me like always.

I hope he forgot about my ribs.

"You look so pretty! Come on gotta fill your belly for your big day." He says far too cheery for so early in the morning. When he sees my frown he pulls me into his arms. "You're okay. It will be fun. All your teachers know about you not talking. They happen to love our family so you should be more then welcome."

No matter what he says he won't be able to erase my fears. But he's trying, and for that I can try to pretend to be okay. So I grab his hand and we make our way down to the kitchen where a smoothie sits nicely on the counter waiting for me.

Giving Emi a thank you nod I don't miss how all my brothers eyes soften when I walk in. I sniffle before sitting down at my spot. Massimo sits at the head of the table which unfortunately is right beside my seat. He sits and stares at his computer. Knowing that he is not interested in my presence I grab my cup with two hands and slowly slip the fruit drink up.

"Sweetheart are you ready to go?" Nodding, I go to stand but accidentally tip the glass over spilling the smoothie on the table.

I part my mouth as tears build up in my eyes. I watch in horror as Massimo quickly stands—flinching from his quick action, he reaches over for the napkins and starts wiping the table down. Wide eyed I stare frozen at the now cleaned up spill.

"It's okay Flo." Dom says placing a hand on my shoulder. I don't look away. I'm frozen in my spot. It isn't until I feel a hand grasping my trembling one do I break my gaze away from the table.

"It was just a spill. It was an accident," Massimo says holding my hand looking at me with the softest look I think he can make. "I am not mad. Everything's fine."