01.11

[act one; chapter eleven     -     sweet reunions]

"Well, that can't be good." Andromeda's words were full of dry sarcasm as of late, and just because they were possibly about to die, did not mean she was about to stop.

"Wolves," Piper said. "They sound close."

Jason rose and summoned his sword. Leo and Coach Hedge got to their feet too. Piper tried, but black spots danced before her eyes.

"Stay there," Jason told her. "We'll protect you."

Andromeda patted her shoulder with a small smile. "Don't worry, I'm used to this. Just stay here, let us handle this. It'll be alright."

The redhead pulled Mania from her finger, and the sword materialised in her hand as it had every time before. But there was something about holding it then, that felt strange. Off. As she looked down at the hilt, there was a faint gold glow, and when she looked towards Jason, he was looking back at her. On the hilt of his sword was an amethyst glow, just like on Riptide.

With a heavy sigh, attempting to push her feelings and wandering thoughts away, she looked up and saw a pair of red eyes glowing in the dark.

More wolves edged into the firelight—black beasts bigger than Great Danes, with ice and snow caked on their fur. Their fangs gleamed, and their glowing red eyes looked disturbingly intelligent. The wolf in front was almost as tall as a horse, his mouth stained as if he'd just made a fresh kill.

As Andromeda stepped up to his side, Jason said something in Latin. It took her a moment to understand, her mind still fuzzy from using her powers earlier that day. And the alpha wolf did not like what he had said. The fur stood up along his spine. One of his lieutenants tried to advance, but the alpha wolf snapped at his ear. Then all of the wolves backed into the dark.