You're Dead

When I came to, I was still on the floor, on my face, where I had landed when I passed out.

Okay, so how much time had passed?

*You have been unconscious for exactly 5 minutes and 12 seconds* 

Great, he was still there.

*Of course I am still here. I have nowhere else to go.*

Why did he have to sound like I was an idiot?

Slowly sitting up, I realized I had no pain in my body, nor in my head. I should have had a splitting headache, but I felt fine. No bruises on my body, no scrapes or sore limbs. I just did a faceplant onto the floor, and I felt as fine as if I had taken a nice nap!

"Okay, Becky, talk."

*As I have already informed you, there are certain augmentations to your body that will allow you to resist damage and pain that your kind would consider normal in various circumstances.*

Yeah, he had mentioned that before. 

So, I would never feel a stubbed toe again? Never have a headache or a toothache? I would never bang my thumb with a hammer and shout in pain, or poke myself, or cut myself?

*You are correct. With your new form, none of those issues will be yours.*

Well, that would be nice....I think.

*Now, shall I continue with my story?*

"After you tell me what happened for the last year of my life!" I snapped. I thought I was calm about it at the time. Looking back; well, I might have been a bit more forceful in my tone. But, honestly, how would you react to a voice in your head telling you that you had an entire year of your life you could not remember?

*To change  your physical form at the level that was necessary is not something that would happen overnight, as I am sure you can imagine. It was necessary to place you in, essentially, a very deep coma while I worked.  But, I am very pleased with the result!*

"You're talking about me like I am some kind of pet project or toy! You took over my body, and knocked my out for a year!"

I was back on my feet, facing the mirror and shouting at it before I even realized what I was doing. 

*You are upset. That is understandable. However, I think you will find your new life, and new body, much more advantageous than your previous ones.*

I was still glaring at my reflection, still snarling. How could he not get it?! He took my life away without asking, without any warning! There was nothing of me, who I am, in what I saw before me now. I was as good as dead!

*Actually, according to the media outlets, you are dead.*

That stopped me cold.

I froze. Total deer in the headlights locked position, staring bug eyed at the reflection before me. 

When I spoke every word was bitten off, snapped out, edged with angered confusion.

"What...did...you....do."

*In your case, though it was not in my original protocols, it was necessary to remove you from the public view while I altered your form to fit my requirements. So, to make this possible, the man known as Alex Winger had to die.*

"You.....you killed me?"

*As far as the media, your personal accounts, job, and social networks are concerned, yes. Alex Winger died one year ago today, after being struck by a vehicle while jogging. Sadly, as you were on the path known as the Sea Wall when it happened, you were thrown out into the water. Your body was never recovered, so there was an empty casket at your funeral.*