CHAPTER FOURTEEN: FRIENDSHIP OF CONVENIENCE

I stare at the door once Nick leaves. I even wait for the little click signaling that he locked the door. Locked me in the house with Clay.

I decide I've been staring at an unchanging door for a few too many seconds, and I slowly turn back to Clay.

He's drinking out of his water bottle. He puts the cap on when he's finished and looks at me. "Do you like pepperoni pizza?"

I laugh. "Um, yeah I guess."

"Good. Jerry's has the best." He taps the top of his bottle a couple of times. "How's the code going?"

"I just have one part that I don't actually know how to do," I reply.

"We'll ask George," he says.

My jaw drops slightly. Not only is he just plainly standing in front of him, he wants me to meet George. The same person that a few weeks ago I thought was Gary. Why in the world do they all the sudden want me to know everything when it was such a secret twenty-four hours ago?

Clay notices the change in my expression. "What?"

"Nothing, you're just standing there." I laugh under my breath at how dumb that sounds.

Clay smiles, but it's more of a smirk. "Is there a problem with that?"

I shake my head. "You know what I mean." I wipe a hand over one of my eyes. "You've been hidden behind doors, and I've been sneaking around to avoid accidentally seeing you. Now you're just prancing around. What happened?"

He shrugs. "I trust you, y/n. I know it sounds dumb, but I trust you"

"I don't believe that."

He raises his brows. "What?"

"I think there's another part to that story, but I'm not going to push it," I explain. "It's nice to completely meet you, Clay."

"It's nice to meet you, too." He takes another sip of water. "And that was the complete truth... ish."

"Ish?" I ask.

"Yeah well, some other thing happened, so I just kinda said 'screw it, I want pizza.'"

"And here we are." I motion around us.

He nods. "Here we are."

"So how's your code going?" I ask to fill the conversation.

"I finished my section, and then I got a couple bits and pieces of George's code done too." He sighs. "I just need Nick to do his."

My jaw drops. "He hasn't done it yet?"

Clay shakes his head. "Not one bit."

I look towards the door, wondering if Nick is almost on the other side of it once again. I don't know how close the pizza place is.

I turn back towards Clay. "Can I tell you something brutally honest?"

He pounds his chest with his hand twice. "Hit me with honesty, y/n."

I motion my thumb towards the door. "Your door is ugly."

Clay laughs, or wheezes I should say. "Really?"

"Yeah, like a capital U-G-L-Y kind of ugly." I nod once dramatically. "It is awful."

"What's so bad about it?" he asks, trying to calm down.

"Well, let's start with just about everything." I start to count on my fingers. "The paint color is monstrous, it's chipping, there's that weird metal thing around the peephole."

"I didn't know it was that bad." He's still laughing.

"You don't see your door enough then."

"Guess not."

We're quiet for a few moments. I mess with the cap of my water bottle.

"I like having you around, y/n," Clay says as he hits the counter once lightly.

This makes me smile. "Well, I like being around."

"Seriously, you should come hang out for a non-coding event sometime. Nick and I could use someone like you." Clay takes another sip of water.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"What does what mean?"

"Someone like me," I repeat. "What does 'someone like me' mean to you?"

"You're funny and you stand up for yourself," he explains, "you're also in America. That ones a big plus."

I laugh, knowing he's meaning George living in the UK. "So it's a friendship of convenience?"

"Exactly."

I shrug. "I think I can live with that."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

guys we haven't even gotten to my favorite part.. this is probably going to be my longest story but it's also going to have a pretty solid plot

also love that we're fourteen chapters in and y/n still doesn't know about dream/sapnap

have an amazing day :)