32. Lie To Me

~Paige

There I sat, out of camera shot and to the side of the band's interview.

The bassists girlfriend, wearing his Led Zeppelin shirt.

Originally, I had planned on getting some work done as I sat in the building but I had gotten too distracted by the plethora of question after question being thrown at the boys.

I had no idea how they were able to do it and while keeping such a calm and focused composure.

Ashton, as usual, was leading the group and answering the questions shortly but still able to get straight to the point.

Vanessa who was sitting beside me, kept her eyes fixated on her boyfriend practically the entire time. However, there was one answer in particular that had her clamping a hand over her mouth to keep a squeal from escaping.

The interviewer had asked Luke a question to which he answered, "My lock screen is picture of my dog and my girl."

After the boys had a good laugh over the fact that Luke is on his own lock screen as well, they moved on to another question.

This one in particular had my heart on the verge of pounding out of chest.

"Speaking of relationships," The woman leading the interview asks, looking towards each of the boys. "Is there anyone in the group who isn't in a relationship at the moment?"

My eyes watch Calum intently and the way he wipes his palms against his pants as if he's unsure of what to say.

We haven't exactly had a long conversation about it, but I thought I had been pretty clear that I don't give a fuck about what the fans think of us anymore.

We're older now, we shouldn't feel the need to hide who we are from anyone. Even if this relationship is our own little secret.

"Ashton and I are actually single." Calum says, making my heart feel as if it's plummeted straight to my stomach.

The interviewer seems pleased by this, eyeing Calum up and down. Swiping her bottom lip with her tongue as if she's ready to pounce on top of my boyfriend sitting in front of her.

My cheeks and neck grow hot with anger and embarrassment. What the hell was he thinking answering the question like that?

I thought Calum wanted to show off our relationship as much as I did. Instead he opened up a door for any woman—who is most likely better than me—to walk right in and do as they pleased with him.

The rest of the interview is a blur. I drowned out the rest of the questions being thrown at the boys and instead focused on the work I had to get done.

As I finish up the remainder of work I had to get done, I hear chairs being scooted and the shuffling of feet walking in our direction.

Vanessa was the first out of her chair, her arms already draped around Luke's neck to press a loving kiss against his lips.

I shut my laptop, doing my best to occupy myself with putting it back into my bag and ignoring the boy standing in front of me.

"Baby, you ready to go?" Calum asks, completely oblivious to what I'm feeling right now.

I'm ready to go, just not with you.

"Paige?" He asks after a few seconds of receiving no response from me.

I sling the backpack over my shoulder and camera bag over the other, standing up to get out of here, but he stops me again—"Here let me carry this—" Calum tries to take my backpack but I step away from him before he can.