Chapter 86 - a dozen Fire Navy ships

- Third POV -

Aang's perched on a snow mound, holding his staff while Arnook approaches him.

"The stillness before battle is unbearable. Such a quiet dread" States Arnook.

"I wasn't there when the Fire Nation attacked my people. I'm going to make a difference this time" Says Aang determined as he rises and holds his staff behind his back.

<time skip, a few minutes later>

Aang, Sokka, Katara, Appa and all the warriors are gathered at the wall. Something distant can be seen soaring towards the city from the horizon. Aang squints his eyes before realizing the object is a fireball. The fireball collides into the wall of the city, sending Team Avatar and several warriors flying back.

"Yip-yip!" Shouts Aang as he jumps onto Appa's back. Appa takes flight and heads towards the fleet.

"Katara!" Exclaims Sokka worriedly as he searches for his sister. Katara uses waterbending to free herself from a snow mound she became buried underneath. Sokka smiles and hoists his sister onto her feet. The two cast their eyes upward, catching sight of two fireballs that soar overhead. Aang's flying towards a single Fire Navy ship as two fireballs are launched. On the deck of the ship, a few soldiers launch another fireball towards Appa and Aang. Aang uses his glider to redirect the fire blasts with his airbending.

"I'll take it from here, boy" Says Aang as he jumps off Appa's back and flies downward on his glider onto the first ship. Using airbending, he sweeps several Fire Nation soldiers off their feet and leaps onto one trebuchet. Aang jumps into the air and completely collapses the trebuchet with his glider and the use of airbending. He lands onto the deck, triumphant. Aang begins to run away from two soldiers who chase after him. He arrives at two trebuchets, one before him and one behind him, and tangles their chains together. He leaps onto the machine before him as the soldiers approach and slams his foot onto the pedal that activates the catapult. The catapult lunges forward, causing the second trebuchet to collide into the first, destroying both.

"Appa!" Beams Aang while Appa leans over the deck of the ship and tosses the man overboard before turning to Aang, who runs over and embraces him.

"Thanks for the rescue, buddy!" Exclaims Aang while his expression of relief becomes one of alarm when the ship begins to rumble. A trebuchet collapses when a gigantic spike of ice pierces straight through the hull and deck of the ship. Aang looks at the water, only to see Water Tribe warriors riding on small boats, who are using waterbending to suspend the ship. Appa begins to ascend and takes off. Aang looks up and sees an entire fleet approaching the Northern Water Tribe.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Mutters Aang horrified.

❀❀❀

Inside of a room filled with weapons, Arnook and Mizuki are standing in front of a group of Water Tribe citizens who are part of the mission.

"Men, you'll be infiltrating the Fire Nation Navy. That means you'll all need one of these uniforms" Informs Arnook. A young man, Hahn, enters the room in the uniform that will be used. Mizuki and Sokka look at each other for a second before laughing. Everybody gives them a confused look.

"What's your problem?" Scoffs Hahn as he glares at Sokka.

"Fire Navy uniforms don't look like that" States Mizuki as she walks towards Hahn and examines his uniform.

"Of course they do- These are real uniforms captured from actual Fire Navy soldiers!" Replies Hahn nervously. Mizuki was getting a little too close to his face, causing Hahn to blush. She looks so much like Yue- They're both so goddamn attractive.

"When, like, a hundred years ago?" Retorts Sokka sarcastically.

"Eighty-five" Informs Arnook.

"The Fire Nation doesn't wear shoulder spikes anymore. The newer uniforms are more streamlined" States Sokka as he approaches Hahn and flings one of the shoulder spikes with his finger. Mizuki walks back to where Arnook is standing.

"How do we know we can trust this guy? Such bold talk for a new recruit" Says Hahn annoyed while glaring at Sokka.

"Sokka is from our sister tribe, Hahn. He's a capable warrior and I value his input. Besides, he's been protecting my dear niece. Don't question his loyalty" Replies Arnook slightly annoyed while Sokka shoots Hahn a smug look.

"Now, our first objective is to determine the identity of their commanding officer" Begins Arnook as he turns around to face all the warriors.

"His name is Zhao" Says Mizuki casually while Arnook looks surprised at her.

"Middle-aged, big sideburns, an even bigger temper-" Sokka gets cut off by Arnook.

"Mizuki, Sokka, I want you guys to tell everything you know to Hahn. He's leading this mission. Hahn, show Sokka and princess Mizuki your respect" Says Arnook before leaving the room.

"So you're Hahn, huh?" Mizuki glares at Hahn. I can't believe that Yue almost had to marry this prick.

"So you've heard about me" Smirks Hahn.

"Don't flatter yourself" Retorts Mizuki.

❀❀❀

Several fireballs are flying through the air towards the Northern Water Tribe.

"Stop those fireballs!" Shouts Pakku while pointing at the sky. The waterbenders bend up a column of water and freeze it, capturing a fireball.

"It's almost twilight, Admiral. As your military consultant, I must advise you to halt your attack. The waterbenders draw their power from the moon, and it is nearly full tonight. You should wait and resume the attack at daybreak" Warns Iroh.

"Oh, I'm well aware of the moon problem and I am working on a solution. But for now, daybreak it is" Replies Zhao while the lead ship drops it anchor, followed by the rest of the ships.

❀❀❀

"They've stopped firing!" Exclaims Yue while Appa approaches her and Katara.

"Aang!" Beams Katara.

"I can't do it- I can't do it" Mumbles Aang anxiously who's clearly exhausted.

"What happened?" Asks Katara worriedly.

"I must have taken out a dozen Fire Navy ships, but there's just too many of them. I can't fight them all"

"But, you have to. You're the Avatar" Pleads Yue.

"I'm just one kid" Replies Aang sorrowful.

To be continued

Word count: 1.004