Fifty-four | Faer

Coiling vines reaching from the Earth Faes' bodies slashed and cut along Visena's spine. 

Gideon defiantly crunched through the wolfsbane drenched appendages, spitting them onto the earth while gagging; the noxious substance slowly suffocated them both. 

Visena snarled and clawed her paws into the dirt after placing herself between Gideon and another blow. 

The Fae bodies hold no water, but the earth does.

Hina let this work.

Visena had never attempted to fuse Wolf form and Fae magic but now seemed as good a time as any. She searched deep within the soil as lash upon lash whipped her back and wondered why they hadn't killed them yet as her power plunged deeper. The dampness of an underwater spring churned beneath and, with a final growl, a reservoir of water jolted upward.

Drawing the water to the surface sent shooting pain up Visena's forelegs, which she ignored while dragging her front paws backwards. Its form swirled through bedrock, soil, decomposing earth and leaves until breaching the forest floor in a razor-thin arc. Visena spun, letting her blood mingle with the wall of water before whipping it through the Earth Fae's bodies in a vortex. Resin, leaves, twigs and humanoid limbs were slingshotted across the forest, and when the last mutilated head hit the earth with a sickening thud, Visena shifted.

"Are you okay?" she asked weakly, standing still to not pull the torn skin on her back.

Gideon whimpered, seeing her injuries and shifted into human form. Micro-abrasions covered his face, and one long jagged cut ran from hairline to jaw. "I'm fine. We need to get you to Kora."

"No. I'll heal better at the cottage, but I need you to tell Liam to call Calypso and Mihnea. They've had enough time to get reacquainted..."

"You think they are-"

"Having sex? No doubt. Ask Mihnea if any of his Vamps can create a border perimeter too while you're at it." Humour was the only strategy to keep her focus off the burning white agony from every movement. Even the gentle brush of the wind lit a fire down her spine.

"You're getting pretty comfortable ordering me around, mate. You're lucky you're too injured to be punished." Gideon tried to smile through his pain, blood dribbling down his chin to his chest. He went silent as he mindlinked Visena's orders to the Pack. Then, with a brisk shake of his head, he met her eyes again. "Let's go. Shouldn't be far now."

Every step was suffering, yet Visena bit down any complaint. Thankfully, there were some well-placed clothing bundles they put to use along the way. Gideon sported a large pair of navy shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, while Visena opted to stay topless with a loose pair of track pants. She gripped the matching sweater in her hands and covered her chest to maintain a modicum of modesty as they trudged further into the woods.

An incessant tittering drew her attention to the right. "Faer?! Oh shit, I'm sorry I forgot you." With limited mobility, Visena dragged herself to the small robin sitting on a low hanging branch. The bird ruffled its feathers and preened haughtily as if offended.

"I said I was sorry! Thank you for helping me home before, and I'm sorry I tried to eat you." She paused as Gideon caught up with a confused look.

"Faer?"

"She was a gift from my mother on my third birthday. She enchanted her to help me find our home if I was lost. And she's immortal, I think."

"Well, that's convenient." Gideon eyed the tiny creature with intrigue. "I thought you only moved to the earth realm when you were twelve."