Chapter 13: The Western Air Temple

The first week on the ship seemed like eternity to Zuko who was not used to the constant droning of the engines and rocking of the vessel. He had traveled by water before, but it had always been recreation, and it was never for so long and with no hope of going home until he finished his mission. He quickly grew anxious to find the Avatar and return to the Fire Nation.

------------------------------------------

It was still dark when they arrived at the location of the Western Air Temple. As the sky began lighting up before sunrise, Zuko, Iroh, Chiara, and several soldiers set out to find their way into the temple. It was not an easy feat since it was built underneath a mountain cliff, but when they set foot onto the temple area, most of them were in awe.

Zuko cared little for sightseeing and immediately set his men to searching the temple. Iroh stood near the balcony ledge gazing at the scenery while Chiara was staring up at the temple buildings carved into the mountain.

"This architecture is incredible," she said in awe of the construction. "The Air Nomads must've been a wonderful people."

"What a stunning view," said Iroh impressed with the sight before him.

Zuko stood next to him. "The only view I'm interested in seeing is the Avatar in chains," he said in a grave tone.

Chiara turned to him disgusted by his comment. "You really want to put a hundred year old man in chains?"

"How else will I control someone who can bend all four elements?"

She stepped closer to him.

"You know," said Iroh, interrupting what he worried might become an argument between them, "the Avatar hasn't been seen for a hundred years. The chances of finding him here are very slim."

Zuko refused to let that stop him. "First we'll check each of the air temples," he said stepping closer to the edge. "Then we'll scour the world searching even the most remote locations until we find him."

"Prince Zuko," said Iroh in a fatherly tone concerned for his health, both mental and physical, "it's only been a week since your banishment. You should take some time to heal and rest."

The prince rounded on him. "What else would I expect to hear from the laziest man in the Fire Nation?" he snapped.

Chiara immediately moved towards him. "Don't you dare talk to him that way...," she started, appalled by his disrespect.

Zuko found her eyes piercing, and he was stunned by her sharp admonition as she so rarely snapped at anyone.

"Chiara...," said Iroh gently pulling her back from Zuko.

"He has no right to speak to you like that," she said to Iroh. "You're the Prince of the Fire Nation and a great hero..."

"Chiara, it's okay...," he said trying to calm her down.

"It's not okay. I don't care if he was the Fire Lord, I won't stand here and allow him to disrespect you, especially after all you've done for him."

Iroh and Zuko both were wide-eyed at her defense of him, and rather than anger towards her, Zuko began feeling ashamed of his behavior.

Iroh sighed. "You are a master of self control," he said to her in a deep tone. She understood he was speaking of her hiding her waterbending. "You must keep your temper under control. If you were to speak out like that to the wrong person, the consequences could be dire."

She took a deep breath. "Yes, General," she said obediently.

Zuko understood through experience what Iroh was saying, and he would never want what happened to him to happen to her as well.