► un bal tendu

*re-edited*

The Queen's ball was probably the most magnificent ball of the century. Diamonds littered the walls, draping over chandeliers and paintings of royals that had passed. Somerset House was a huge gallery which was transformed into a ballroom, the marble floor polished into one shimmering slab. 

Marie entered the room, overwhelmed by the breath-taking room she stepped into. "Well, Miss Howard, this is certainly something," Bertie commented. The only thing Marie could do was nod in awe. Her eyes naturally slid to the paintings, watching as if she had seen each paint stroke being placed onto the canvas. 

The princess made her way over to Daphne who was laughing to herself in the corner of the room, eyeing the Duke every noticeable second. "If you're looking at Simon every moment, then at least try and make it less obvious. You're not even engaged yet," Marie chuckled as Daphne turned, doe-eyed to her. "I wasn't-" She began but Marie held her hand up and smiled. 

"It's fine, believe me, if I told people my secrets, I would have the scandal of the whole century. Forget passing glances," Marie waved off the potential gossip with her hand. "Really, like what?" Daphne queried, her brown eyes staring up at the taller girl. "Well, I couldn't tell you or they wouldn't be secrets," Marie grinned, looking the girl up and down. 

"Your dress is just enchanting by the way," She complimented as she took in the ruffled pink dress which formed on Daphne's body. "Oh please, have you seen yourself?" Daphne took in Marie's outfit fully, wide-eyed.

 "Oh please, have you seen yourself?" Daphne took in Marie's outfit fully, wide-eyed

► Marie's hair

► Marie's dress►►►

► Marie's dress

►►►

"Excuse me, everyone," The Queen stood up, making the present suitors and ladies silence. "Since we are celebrating the partnership of my husband and I today, we shall be dancing in partners for the rest of the night," The Queen smirked, everyone gasping excitedly at the idea.

"Putain," Marie cursed, figuring that she was going to be sabotaged by her own Godmother. "Now, let me read the list," The Queen cleared her throat and began to read out the long paper of partners. "Cressida Cowper and Colin Bridgerton," She read out, making the girl squeal.

Marie turned to see Benedict laughing at his brother's pained face. "Daphne Bridgerton and Simon Bassett," The Queen captured Marie's attention once again. Anthony's face was pained as she read it out, missing the cheeky smile she wore. People clapped and cheered, and some whistles were heard as the two stood together, engaging in polite conversation. 

"Marie Howard," The Queen looked up, making direct eye contact with her god-daughter. It was as if the crowd held their breath, wondering who would have the honour of being partnered with the Princess of France all night. "And Benedict Bridgerton," The Queen smiled, grinning as Marie competed in a glaring contest with her. Marie was broken from her intense gaze when Benedict pulled her to the partnered side of the room by her waist. 

"Prudence Featherington..." The Queen continued, humour laced in her voice. "This evening couldn't get any worse," Marie whispered, tracing the colossal picture frame of a painting with her gloved hand. "Believe me, I don't want to be stuck here with you either. I had better plans for the night," Benedict mumbled, picking at the diamonds which were sewn onto Marie's dress. She swatted his hand away as if he were a child. Her body tensed as he slid an arm around her waist. 

"What, get drunk and kiss a model, you have no intent on marrying, at an art club? Sounds perfect," Marie stated sarcastically,  pushing Benedict's hands away from her hips. "How would you know? The art club seems only to be for men," He asked, turning her towards him, grasping her gloved wrist. "Get your hands off me," Marie commanded, making Benedict slowly loosen his grasp on her. 

"Now, the eight ladies I call will open a dance with their partners," The Queen announced loudly, enjoying the attention. "Daphne Bridgerton, Marina Thompson, Isla Addington, Lillia Redfern.." The Queen continued "And Marie Howard," She stepped back, retreating to her diamond-embedded throne. 

Benedict grabbed Marie's hand and led her to the dancefloor, taking up his starting position. Marie looked at Daphne who stifled a laugh at the princess. The violins began playing and the partners started moving to the strings melodic tune. "Benedict, you vex me," Marie commented, making the gentleman laugh bitterly. "vex you? Believe me, the feelings are mutual," Benedict snarled at her. "So you have feelings for me?" Marie smirked, twirling with the support of his hands. "Wha- no, I-" Benedict stuttered, making the girl laugh quietly. 

Benedict stopped stammering when he realised the girl was enjoying playing with him. He spun her with his strong arms, making her squeal as she lost her balance. As she fell, he caught her, disguising her fall as a dip, making the audience gasp and clap. 

He smiled at her as she pushed him away but he grabbed her waist, pulling them closer to mask any signs of hatred. "Fils de pute," She named him, making him confused. Marie then pulled him into her, taking the lead in the dance which was foreign to him. 

"Marie, stop it," He ordered as he competed with her for the lead. The couple started to dance with flaws, tripping over each other's feet as they both attempted to conquer the other. 

Benedict looked at the stubborn girl, a look of disdain on his face. Suddenly, a bright idea echoed around his head. He leaned in close to her, his lips just next to her ear. Marie faltered as she focused on his heavy breathing, giving him the chance to take the lead. His scent filled her senses, blinding her as she let him take charge. 

He kept his head by her shoulder, his heavy low breathing causing her feet to fall into step with his. The crowd clap and applaud when the dance is over, making the couples fall apart and bow to each other. Benedict smiled, moving away from Marie whose cheeks were rouge and blushing. She looked up to the stage, making eye contact with her Godmother who looked at her with knowing eyes. Marie stared up, her eyes daring as Benedict left to go and down some alcohol. He needed it. 

Well, well, well. What a steamy dance was the first of the night at Somerset House. This Author will give credit to Her Majesty, the concept of bringing together my love story was just brilliant, unlike some of her other... ideas. It seems that Benedict Brdigerton also had a part to play in the comings together in the love story of our beloved Princess.