Chapter Two

The Assembly Hall:
Fiona sat on her throne, avoiding eye contact with the deceased Chairman's family. The mother was a plump woman with greasy black hair, and three identical daughters, all frail and tall, with the thinnest, longest, hair Fiona had ever seen. They all shared the same stormy blue eyes which seemed to be fixed on the ground just below the riser that they were sitting on to view the conference.

When Fiona had entered the room, the daughters had glanced at her in curiosity, but quickly avoided her gaze once they became aware of who she was. Gabriel had silently vacated her seat and waited until she was comfortably seated until he backed away a few paces to his viewing post.

Now Fiona sat silently in her seat, tolerating the constant bickering between Mrs. Butcher and the chairmen.

An empty stool sat at the farthest left seat from Fiona, where Chairman Butcher had sat through many meetings. The sight did not make Fiona sad, only pitiful for the family that the Chairman had left behind.

Turning her attention back to the debating, she realized how elevated the conversation had gotten. Chairman Ellis was giving Chairman Huy a death glare while trying to convince the rest of the court to let all of Chairman Butcher's savings be donated to a self-funded, planned, and operated project he called "the spire" which was a park with a nine-foot water fountain shaped like a skyscraper in the center.

Ellis claimed that it was meant to symbolize unity and power within the government, but everyone else knew that only half the money put into it was actually for the given purpose.
In the middle of his rant about symbolism, a guard burst through the main door, startling multiple of the court members, who had begun to doze off through Ellis's monologuing.

"Your majesty," the guard declared, dropping to one knee not three feet from the door. "We have just gotten word that the known rebel Abraham Kin has gone missing, and we have tracked his most recent location to an eastern bound train which he boarded but did not disembark from at the receiving station.

"We have also discovered that his home and surrounding property seemed out of place as if ransacked or ruffled through recently. We assume he left it in this state, wanting to make a speedy getaway and not planning to return."

Fiona sat silently for a moment, trying to recall what she had already heard about this Abraham. He was indeed a wanted rebel and had made multiple attempts to seize control of parts of the country under a fake identity. But this most recent development intrigued her. When had they discovered who he was? And why hadn't they notified her?

She sat up a little straighter and after signaling for the guard to rise said, "Keep searching. I expect to be informed on all new developments, and once he is captured, bring him to me so I may deal with him."

The guard nodded and saluted his queen with a fist to his chest, then moved it to the side of his head. After he had gone, Fiona stood, splaying her hands on the table.

"I say, the untaxed portions of Butcher's savings be given to his family in a form of reserve to be used for medical purposes only. His daughters should have the right to marriage through the choosing of their mother."

"His property will not be divided, and I will fund the funeral fee. Lord Amstel will replace his seat in the court. That's final, no debating about it, this meeting is adjourned."

Scooting back her chair with her legs she slipped out from the table sideways and walked out of the courtroom with a small smile to the Butcher daughters as she passed.

Beckoning Gabriel to walk beside her she slowed her pace and looked at him out of the corner of her eye.

"How do you think that went?" She asked plainly.