Chapter Fifteen

Leo absentmindedly ate his cereal, as the events of last night played in his head. Thankfully, he had controlled his alcohol intake, so at the very least he wasn't suffering from a hangover. He wanted to text Milan and ask how he was. But he wasn't sure if he should.

After all, Milan did sneak out while Leo was still asleep.

Kai was sitting at the kitchen counter as well, grading papers. Leo looked at the older man for a few moments, before speaking up.

"Did you always know you were gay?" Leo asked. Kai looked up in slight surprise, wondering what brought this on.

"Huh?" Kai furrowed his brows, "uh, no, not really. I was pretty convinced that I was straight for the first eighteen years of my life."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I just assumed it was the... Default setting, y'know? Even though I knew better, but still," Kai said with a shrug.

"What changed?" Leo didn't actually know how Roan and Kai got together. He did know that they were best friends since childhood, but that was about it.

"Things just... happened with Roan and I, I'll spare you the details," Kai said with an awkward laugh, making Leo cringe, "but yeah. I was still in denial for a long time though, before I finally came to terms with my sexuality."

"And how did you come to terms with it?" Leo asked.

"I just stopped being an idiot and realised I was head over heels for my best friend," Kai shrugged, "I did some pretty stupid shit when I was questioning myself, but thankfully Roan was— is always patient with me."

"You two make a good couple," Leo stated truthfully, making Kai smile. This was probably their first time having such an open conversation, and Kai couldn't help but feel happy, "why the sudden interest?"

"I, uh, no reason," Leo muttered.

"I won't judge," Kai promised. Leo hesitated as he looked down at his bowl, before sighing and continuing.

"I think I might like someone. But I've, uh, I've never really liked anyone before, so I'm not sure," Leo said softly, "I know I'm a little too old to be getting this worked up over something so small but, I don't know, crushes and dating was never on my list of priorities before this."

"Roan is always better at these kind of talks than me, but," Kai paused for a moment, "but I hope you know that it's okay to like whoever you have feelings for. And even if you don't have feelings for anyone, then that's completely valid too."

"I don't know what to do from here," Leo admitted, "it's all so new to me."

"Hey, I get that. I dated girls before Roan, but never had a second date with anyone. I always thought I never had feelings for any of them because I just hadn't found the right girl for me. But turns out the right girl was actually a guy who had been in front of me the whole time," Kai smiled, "there's no time limit on figuring yourself out, go at your own pace."

"But I don't want to lead him on if I'm, uh, incapable of reciprocating," Leo said.

"Then be honest with him. Tell him where you stand and where your head's at. If he's worth it, then he'll understand. And if doesn't, then that means he doesn't deserve you."

"I just don't want to hurt him," Leo's voice was low as he sighed.

"Milan seems like a good kid, I'm sure if you talk to him then the two of you will work it out," Kai stated. Leo looked up at Kai with wide eyes, and the older man just raised his hands in defense, "hey, I have eyes, okay? I've seen you both together in school."