Chapter Fourteen

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed.
Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

Loren had barely seen Anthony since that night. She had kept herself confined in her room for the remainder of the night, only leaving for meals. It seemed quite ridiculous, but she couldn't risk running into Anthony. The entire family knew that something had happened between the two, for Anthony was also barely seen throughout the house since Vauxhall. 

But today, she was bored. The woman had run out of things to do and so she decided to be brave and head to the drawing room, praying that Anthony wasn't there. And thankfully, he wasn't. Violet glanced up at her, "Well, hello Loren. How are you today?" She questioned. Loren shrugged, taking a seat beside Benedict, who was lounging on the large couch, "I am doing just fine." 

Violet saw through the woman's facade. She could tell that Loren was hurt, and she knew that Anthony had something to do with it. But Loren refused to let anyone see how truly broken she was, "Daphne, do you think you could play something on the piano? I heard you playing earlier and it sounded beautiful." A smile crossed Daphne's face as she rose from her seat, approaching the large grand piano. It only took a few moments for the trilling of classical piano to fill the air, and it was such a gorgeous sound. Loren sighed deeply, leaning against Benedict. 
"Are you okay?" He whispered. The woman only nodded, but it was obvious that she was not okay. And he knew that she would never admit it. So, instead of prodding, Benedict only wrapped his arm around Loren's shoulders, making her feel comfortable and relaxed.

It was so nice, so peaceful. Colin had joined the two of them, and together, they just relaxed and enjoyed the music. That is, until Eloise stormed in, "How does a lady come to be with child?" The piano abruptly stopped, and everyone shot up in confusion. Violet scolded her daughter, "Eloise, what a question!" But the girl continued, "I thought one needed to be married-" 

Loren arched an eyebrow, "What are you talking about?" And yet Eloise rambled on, "Apparently, it's not even a requirement!" "Eloise, that is enough." Violet sternly stated. Eloise huffed as she approached the trio who was sitting on the couch, squishing in between Loren and Colin. Violet sighed, "Daphne, you were playing so lovely. Please, do go on." The girl wasted no time, and the sound of music filled the air. 

Eloise cleared her throat, "I take it the three of you know?" Benedict spoke immediately, "Do not look at me." Colin piped up, "Have you ever been to a farm, El?" Loren reached over, whacking Colin on the back of his head, "Hush," She scolded as Violet spoke, "I hope you are not encouraging improper topics of conversation?" Benedict shook his head, "Not at all, Mother." Colin nodded, rising from his seat, "In fact, we were just heading off to..." Colin glanced at Eloise, "Take our sticks out." 

"Colin Bridgerton!!"

"A round of fencing!" Colin defended. Loren chuckled softly as Benedict rose from his seat, winking at Loren before following Colin out of the room. Just as the two boys left, a servant entered, "Miss? There are callers for Miss Daphne." All who occupied the room were confused, and Loren was the one who spoke up, "What of the Duke? I thought you were courting him?" 

Daphne shrugged, "I suppose I have more.

Loren found the whole thing suspicious, but kept her thoughts to herself. After all, she could just be overthinking. Something just felt off about this whole arrangement and she was determined to know why.