► la promenade

*re-edited*

Marie awoke from her sleep long before Bea entered her room. She stared out the clean window, a small smile playing on her face as she recalled Benedict's thumb rubbing her palm. She neutralised her face as soon as she realised - the boy had been the epitome of rude to her. 

The night ended soon after the incident with the Cowper's, Marie leaving to find her chaperone, and Benedict to go and comfort Daphne who'd argued with the Duke over marriage. Bea knocked and waited a few seconds before walking into the room, stopping by the door as she noticed Marie staring out, the sun glimmering on her cheekbones. 

"Please, Marie, you are in your sleepwear, it would be improper for you to be seen," Bea scolded, placing a warmed blanket over Marie as she grabbed a hairbrush. "Bea?" Marie asked, her tone cool and relaxed as she sat, watching the window. "Please send an invitation over to Daphne Bridgerton; I wish to promenade with her today," Marie told her, letting the sun shine on her closed eyelids. 

"Of course Ma'am," Bea nodded, finishing Marie's hair soon after. Marie dressed by herself, grinning as she got a reply of agreement from the Bridgerton household. "Viscount Bridgerton will be chaperoning," Bea bowed and left the room. Marie rolled her eyes as she slipped her feet into some tight shoes. 

►Marie's hair

►Marie's hair

► Marie's dress

► Marie's dress

Marie stifled a laugh when she noticed Anthony's upset face. "I had duties to attend to today, not chaperone," He told Marie sternly who looked at him with a soft smile. "Then why did you insist, I told you in my letter that Bertie would be fine chaperoning us," She grinned. "Because I see him leave you as soon as you enter a ball. I mean you were in a separate room with my brother last night," Anthony told her through his teeth with a lowered voice, falsely smiling as he saw someone he knew pass them. 

Marie just shrugged and took Daphne's arm, strolling around the park with her. They passed the white chrysanthemums and blue rhododendrons, the scent of honeysuckle drawing them closer.

"Miss Bridgerton," A blonde lady with a kind, round face walked up to the pair, bowing her head, "Isla!" Daphne exclaimed, hugging the petite girl with force. "Oh wow," Isla chuckled as she stumbled back, returning the hug. "I apologise for her manners, that's probably my fault," Marie smiled, puling Daphne back with a laugh. 

Marie had seen the beautiful woman parade around the ballroom a few times, catching the eyes of many suitors. "Marie this is Isla Addington. Isla, Princess Marie Howard," Daphne introduced the two. "Oh," Isla's eyes widened and she immediately dropped into a curtsey, making Marie smile softly. "Lovely to meet you," Marie grinned, eyeing Anthony who kept checking his pocket watch. 

"Yes, Your Royal Highness, you danced with my brother at the first ball of the season," Isla informed. Marie resurfaced the memory of the man who looked very similar to Isla. "The same dance that I danced with you," Marie turned to Daphne who was trying to jog her memory.

 "You're brother is a very lovely dancer I must say," Marie told Isla as the trio began walking around the park again. Anthony followed them, grumbling profanities only Marie chose to decipher "Would you consider him a potential suitor? Sorry if that is forward," Isla asked politely. "I've heard much worse," Marie giggled. It seemed that Anthony leaned in, curious to the answer to Isla's question.

"Unfortunately, I am to marry this season due to my mother's wishes. I am sure he is an acceptable choice for any young woman, but I am not looking for a husband like him. Although I would love to get to know him, I would prefer someone less ... flawless," Marie finished. "Someone a little more rough around the edges," She strode forward. 

"Of course, thank you for taking me promenading, but I must get back to my Mama," Isla smiled, leaving the duo again. "She was wonderful, wasn't she," Daphne commented, making Marie nod in agreement. "More rough around the edges, hmm?" Daphne nudged Marie with her gloved elbow. "Oh please," Marie brushed the subject away. 

"What about you and the Duke? How's that turning for you?" Marie asked, watching as Daphne's eyes cast downwards. "I believe he is not accepting the possibility of marriage," Her voice was laced with sadness. "Daphne, if anybody can turn a man to marriage, it's you. You are the Diamond of the First Water," Marie reassured the strawberry blonde. "I will talk to him for you, Simon is a very old friend of mine." 

"Thank you, Marie. What about you and my brother? I noticed he went off looking for you," Daphne asked, a knowing smile on her face. "God no, he's just so.." Marie couldn't find the word. "Flawed?" Daphne offered making Marie playfully glare at her. "Infuriating," Marie decided, handing a few silver coins to a paper boy and picking up a copy of 'Lady Whistledown's Social Papers'. 

"Merde," Marie cursed making Anthony clear his throat and raise his eyebrows. Daphne smiled and leaned into Marie, whispering "He learnt French for a year when he was 12". "Desperate times lead to desperate measures, dearest Anthony," Marie told him, scanning the paper. "I am mentioned once again with your brother in Lady Whistledown's papers however she has failed to mention my encounter with your brother in the art gallery. Guess the bitch doesn't know everything," She shrugged and watched Anthony take the paper from her hands and read it also.

"I'd prefer if you didn't use such vulgar language around my soon-to-be-wed sister, dearest Marie," Anthony mocked the princess he was starting to slowly warm to. "Gosh, I just cannot deal with all these scandals. That is why I do not read her papers," Daphne told Marie in her gorgeous posh accent. She decided to change the subject but the twinkling in her eyes suggested she would bring up the topic of the foreign princess at dinner again, as she did most nights. 

Marie also watched as the wind blew at the girl's hair, Anthony's hat being blown away and down the path. Anthony turned to fetch the black top hat, sparking an idea in Marie's head. She dragged Daphne through the grass, under a large tree which was surrounded by more trees. The tree was a weeping willow, the leaves falling over them as cover. 

"God, Anthony is so tense," Marie laughed and placed herself by the root of the tree. She watched him retrieve his hat, spinning around as he looked for the girls and stormed off in the wrong direction. Daphne smiled and sat next to her, the bottom of her dress dipping in muddy puddles and staining it temporarily. "I am such a bad influence," Marie shook her head in laughter. 

"So, are you sure there is nothing happening between you and my brother?" Daphne asked, hoping that without Anthony's ears, Marie's view might've changed. "No, I am very sure. Why does everyone keep asking me that?" Marie sulked, taking off her elbow-high gloves. 

"Maybe we see something you do not?"