Chapter 15- Star gazing

The next day, on Saturday night, we all decided to go and check my house. It looked the same like it did a week ago, before my kidnapping.

As we were walking towards the front door, all the memories I had shared with my parents in this house started replaying in my head. How mom and I were so excited when we first moved into this house. Mom was so eager to decorate and design it. How she used to get mad when dad would enter the house with dirty shoes. How she would show off the house to her friends. How I would run around in the house pretending to be flying like a bird.

The flowers in my garden reminded me of the times me and dad planted them together. We were so exhausted by the end of it and mom had made my favourite smoothie to cheer us up.

Times have changed so much. Why did my parents change like that? What did I do to make them hate me so much?

"Jen, is everything alright?" Max asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts. I hadn't even realised that I was tearing up. The others looked at me with concern too.

"Yeah, I am. I was.....just remembering the old times. My memories that I had shared with my parents and this house." I replied in a quiet voice.

"Are you sure we can do this, Jennifer? We don't have to do this if you don't want to."  Damien said to me. "Yes." I said while nodding and wiping my tears.

We entered the house and it was just like I had left it. Th ice cream tub was still kept on the table. However, the TV and lights were switched off.

"Wait.. How are the ligts and TV switched off? And omg the house wasn't even locked!" I glared at them.

"We switched off the lights before leaving. We know how Important electricity is." Zack said.

"And as for locking the house, we didn't find it necessary." Liam shrugged.

I took them to my parents room and handed them my mom's jewellery and dad's Watch collection. I opened the locker and took out all the money. Then I left them to wander around the house to inspect other valuables and furniture.

I went inside my room and nostalgia hit me hard. This was the house I grew up in and this is how I would be leaving it.

I sat down on my bed, remembering how as a child I would get scared because of the nightmares and mom and dad would tell me stories to make me sleep. How they would tuck me in my bed before kissing me good night.

I saw all the pictures of me and my family hanging on the walls. All my clothes and books, everything made me cry. The view of the street my window offered, I will miss everything.

"Jennifer, let's go. We've seen everything. It will take time to sell it all so let's go back home for now." Max said while entering my room.

He stood beside me, and started looking at all the photos. "You look like such a happy family in these photos." He remarked.

"Good times don't stay forever." I said while walking out of the room.

"And so do bad times." Max replied.

***

I was sulking in the couch, hugging a pillow. The others were chatting with each other.

They all looked so happy and relieved and it made me content to see them like this.

I was still drowning in my old memories when Damien sat on the couch beside me. I glanced up at him to see him looking so genuinely happy that I couldn't help but smile at him.

"Wanna go somewhere with me?" He suddenly asked.

I was startled by his offer as I wasn't expecting that at all.