Chapter Ten

The last thing Gabby needed was Tan clogging up her brain God knew having Tan in Boston could distract her from the inevitable ( her mother's death) and she couldn't lie to herself she craved the distraction.

Days passed so fast and It's seems Gabby and Tan became closer again. Gabby feared that this would end if her mother died. She gradually convinced herself it was only a distraction. Tan's family would never accept her and Tan wouldn't dare go against his parent for her.

Gabby heard her phone ring, it was Tan.
"Hey" his voice calming her nerves.
"Hey"
"I was wondering if you were free today, so that we could hang out, I would be going back to New York tomorrow, I need to attend to some urgent business"
"Yes of cause, I really need a breather right now"
"I would come pick you up then" Tan said as the call ended.

Gabby showered and got dressed. She wore a summer dress. Gabby heard the door bell ring and rushed outside to see Tan, he was gorgeous as always.

"Hey, you ready"? He asked
Gabby inhaled and exhaled, this was the first time in four years she would be alone with Tan and even though she wanted to enjoy this moment she felt guilty because her mother was sick and couldn't afford the luxury of  leaving her house. It was heart breaking for Gabby. But she needed this, she needed to clear her mind. He opened the door to the car gesturing for Gabby to sit down.

"You shouldn't have," Gabby said politely.
The car was filled with his cologne. It was mildly distracting so she slide the window open to let air whip through the car.
" how's your mom doing?"
"She pretends that everything is fine, when we know it's not, well that's how she has always been...I just wished a miracle would happen" realizing tears were about to pour out of her eyes she squeezed her eyes shut.

He placed his hands on top of hers and squeezed it mildly. It was heavily comforting to Gabby.
He cocked a brow. "You look good by the way" he said trying to lighten the mood.
She smiled and replied "thank you. You don't look bad yourself"
"I love seeing you smile it tells me you are going to be okay and that's comforting to me"

Tan was a man  of words, he always knew what to say to make her heart leap. It was one of his many talents.
He made a turn to the car park and pulled in, with a cocky squeal of brakes. "We've arrived" he said, Opening the door and climbing out of the car.

Gabby could recognize where they were. It was where she usually hanged out with Tan whenever he came to Boston to visit. The cafe looked sun beaten but it was sought of their happy place.
Gabby was still sitting in the car, she hadn't moved a muscle.
"You are going to have to come out" he waited for her to come out then took her hand. It made him aware of the texture of her hands. The hands that caressed his face.
When they got inside the cafe, Gabby noticed nothing had changed it still looked the same, except for the change of staff.
"What would you like to eat." Tan asked.
"A croissant and a cup of coffee would do" Gabby replied.
They made their order and it was delivered to them.
"I miss the times when we were younger and we had the littlest worries. Now we are adulting and everything is changing so fast."

"I miss it too". He paused for a moment and continued the conversation.
"I am sorry for the way, my mother treated you at the ball, I never got to apologize"
"You don't have to apologize, you are not your mother and this isn't new to me"
Tan felt confused. Gabby spoke as if it had happened before. He remembered brushing similar statement's off at  the dinner. Did his mother confront Gabby prior to the dinner or was Gabby speaking of someone else. He wouldn't put it pass his parents' though especially his mother. If she could have it she wanted to control everything down to the woman he went out with. But Gabby was off limit to his parent, he had accepted their controlling attitude for long and even decided to break things off with Gabby on the condition they wouldn't meet, he knew the damage they could do to her.