Chapter Forty

**A/N: Hello ya'all! Can you believe that i'm updating so quickly? I am actually pretty proud of myself. I have a new writing partner for one of my other fics, and since Ive been updating weekly on that one, I was able to work on this one too. If you enjoy Harry Potter fics, go check it out. I no longer have a Beta for this fic, so all mistakes are my own. I am currently on the hunt for a new one. I hope you like this chapter, it took a pretty wild turn. Let me know what ya think!**

The half-moon hung eerily in the dark sky, shining like a warning beacon for what would come the following night when it rose fully to the eye. Elena sat atop the porch step at my feet, her dress draped around her in a halo of baby blue. The soft crown braid that adorned her head had long since fallen in a heap of curls around her shoulders, and she raked her fingers along her scalp to ease the tension left behind. The night had been long and arduous, fight after fight leaving both of us feeling much like a steel rod of stress, but we had accomplished all we had set out to. Niklaus hadn't made it easy to negotiate after he discovered my past relationship with Tyler; as expected, he had clammed up like an infant. Thankfully, Elijah had come to the rescue and taken over as head negotiator, with only a few grunts of agreement when needed from the childish Hybrid. After dinner, they had both set off to the parlor to draw up Elena's contract. Now it was simply a waiting game. Elena sent word to Stefan, and in turn Damon, that we were alright; I wasn't interested in conversing with either of them. As she took on that burden, I took the time to send a quick text to Tyler, Mason, and Caroline; I didn't want them to worry.

Elena lazily lifted her head, her hair falling off her shoulder in a waterfall of curls, her dark brown eyes heated. "Damon believes I'm in trouble and simply lying to make them think I'm okay. God, I wish a bolt of lighting would fall from the sky and fry his ass up extra crispy," she said, glancing down at her cell. A smirk curled her pink lips and she lifted the phone out in front of her, running her finger across the screen. Her camera activated and she held up her index and middle finger, creating the peace sign, and smiled condescendingly as she snapped a quick picture. "That oughta do it, at least if he has any brain cells left."

I snorted indelicately, reaching up to rub at my cold tickling nose in the process. With a deep sigh, I shook my head. "I think you give him too much credit, at least in his current state. He is panicked and likely has zero brain function left at the moment, Lena."

Elena glanced up, tucking her phone in her jacket pocket, and bit her bottom lip thoughtfully. "He is gonna be trouble, Elara. I know you don't wanna think about it, but despite what you said at dinner, you know he will be. I'm not sure when he'll strike, but he is bound to do something to mess everything up before tomorrow night."

I looked away, unable to fight her logic. She was right; Damon was trouble. To keep everyone I cared about safe, I would be forced to handle him. "I will take care of it, Elena. He will not mess this up for us," I resolutely said.

Elena stood, her head bowed, and she placed a soft hand on my arm. "I'm sorry that it always falls on you, Ellie." Gently she laid her head on my shoulder, her cold nose bringing goosebumps to my skin. "It'll all be over soon. Things will get better once the ritual is over."

My eyes closed in sadness, the days until our birthday flashing through my mind like pages on a calendar; 40 days left. It was hard to believe how close I now was to my next life, but the days passed by as quick as sand, and no matter how hard I fought to grasp the granules, they continued to slip between my fingers. I placed my hand on the back of Elena's head and held her close, my eyes rising to the doorway as a quiet snap broke the silence. Niklaus and Elijah were exiting the parlor, the door swinging shut behind them. Elijah approached holding a crisp white piece of paper, folded down the middle, his brown eyes expertly examining the way I held Elena to my side. His jaw flexed, the muscle in his neck contracting as he lowered his head to one side, hair falling out of his eyes. Niklaus came around from his left, his stern gaze focused on Elena as she stepped away from me, wiping at her watery bloodshot eyes.