*3*

Veronica let out a big yawn, her eyes drooping sleepily. Now that she was safe, and with her mate, she felt like she could relax for the first time in weeks. Ever since she had decided to leave home she'd been scared. What did she know about living on her own? Her brothers had treated her as if she were a delicate doll and her parents had doted on her because she was their only girl.

Of course, it didn't help how needy she tended to be. One of her friends in high school had asked her once if she was a little. Veronica had been confused and asked what a 'little' was. Then she had done a bit of research and decided the lifestyle wasn't for her. When she'd told her friend this, Misty had been disappointed because she was one, but said she understood.

However, Veronica did like the idea of a strong dominant man taking care of her. After all, she was a bunny shifter who was not only small and easily breakable but also had a nervous disposition even in her human form.

When she yawned again, Pierre glanced at her and asked, "Are you tired?"

"Mm-hm," she mumbled. "How much further to your house?"

"Just a few more minutes."

Veronica nodded as she viewed Pierre's profile. His features were slightly sharp, his neatly trimmed beard emphasizing his jawline to perfection. She tilted her head, laying it on the car seat as she took in his tan complexion.

"What?"

"You have a tan. I mean, aren't vampires supposed to be pale because they never see the sun?"

Pierre chuckled. "Maybe some of them are, and I'm paler than some. However, I think perhaps it has something to do with what color your skin was when you became a vampire. I lived in France when I was bitten and I worked in the sun, so I kept some of my color."

"Ooh, a Frenchmen," Veronica grinned.

Pierre glanced at her once more, his eyebrow raised. "Oui, I'm a Frenchman by birth but I have not lived in France for a very long time."

"That's cool," Veronica said, yawning again. Rubbing her eyes, she hummed.

"I know you want something. What is it?"

"I just... when I get sleepy, I like to cuddle," Veronica admitted. "Please tell me you like to cuddle too."

Pierre huffed. "I am a vampire; we do not cuddle. However, since you have claimed me as your mate, perhaps I could make an exception for you."

Veronica let out a sigh of relief and scooted over on the seat. She was so happy her Chevy Tahoe had a bench seat in it. Snuggling close to Pierre's side she closed her eyes.

#

"Wake up, little bunny."

"Hm, what?" Veronica felt her shoulder being shaken and tried to snuggle back into the warm arm under her cheek.

A husky chuckle had her eyes fluttering open.

"Are you fully awake now?" Pierre asked. "I've been trying to wake you for five minutes now. Buck is getting impatient for his supper."

"Buck?"

"My dog," Pierre answered. "Come on, let's get you inside and into bed."

Veronica whined when he opened the door and moved away. Quickly scooting after him, she held out her arms. "Carry me?"

Pierre slowly turned his head and raised an eyebrow. "Carry you? How old are you, little bunny?"

Veronica felt her face heat as she dropped her arms and her head. Softly, she answered, "Twenty-five."

"Aren't you a little old to be carried around then?"

Feeling tears well up, she nodded and whispered, "Sorry." Then she turned away and reached under the seat for her purse. "I just need to grab my overnight case out of the back, it will only take me a minute."

Pierre made a sound deep in his throat. It caused Veronica's head to swiftly come up and since it had startled her, she forgot to hold back the tears and they began to fall. Realizing her mistake, she tried to turn away.

Pierre reached out and grabbed her chin. "Veronica, why are you crying? All I did was ask a question."

She sniffled, refusing to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry. When I didn't find my mate at eighteen, I started dating a little bit. None of my boyfriends lasted long though because they told me I was too needy and acted childishly. The truth is, I am needy, just ask my family, but I'm not childish. I'm an adult and I know this, but sometimes I just... I don't know."

Pierre sighed and pulled her into his arms. "I have lived a long time and because of that I have seen and done many things. I will admit, I have not been a celibate man, at least not until the last ten years or so. When I was human, I was married to a sweet woman who was the light of my life and we had four children. I've told you about the vampire I was in a relationship with, but before her I was angry and lonely, and I had numerous affairs, trying to forget what I had become."

"I suppose that would be natural, drastic changes in our lives can affect us in strange ways," she murmured.

"Yes, well, I also tried things," he admitted. "I did a short stint living the BDSM lifestyle but decided it only made my hunger for blood rage and quickly got out of it. The one thing it did show me though is that I enjoy being the dominant one. When I was human, I may have been, but becoming a vampire multiplied the urge to dominate."

Staring up at him with tear-filled eyes, she asked, "What are you trying to tell me exactly."

Pulling her completely from the SUV by her waist, Pierre waited for her to wrap her arms and legs around him before he began to walk. "What I'm saying is, even though I have dominant tendencies, I have to be careful of how far I take it because it makes the vampire side of me rise and it can be brutal in its bloodlust."

Opening his front door, he stepped inside, moved to the side, and allowed his dog to enter before he closed the door. He then carried her to the large leather sofa and sat down with her on his lap. Running his fingers through her long hair, he sighed. "Veronica, when I asked how old you were, it wasn't meant as an insult. I asked because I thought you might be a little. Your comment about your brother saying you needed another 'daddy', along with things you have said had me leaning toward that explanation."

Veronica shook her head. "No, that isn't me. I enjoy being an adult and do not want my mate to give me a bottle or put me in diapers."

Pierre chuckled. "I believe there is more to it than that."

"Oh, I know," Veronica agreed. "I have a good friend who lives the lifestyle, and her little side is five. She is a naughty girl though and says she gets her fair share of spankings." She hummed softly, narrowing her eyes at him as she continued, "However, I wonder now if you would have a problem with me being like that if I were."

Pierre's hand paused halfway through her hair, and he gazed into the distance for a moment. Then he said, "I honestly don't know. I think I would enjoy the protective and caring aspect of it, I might even enjoy giving spankings, but not the diapers and bottles. As a vampire I can't have children, at least I don't think I can," he paused, shaking his head as if to clear it, "if I could have children, I believe I would enjoy all aspects of raising them..."

"But not your mate along with them," Veronica said.

Pierre shook his head. "Yeah."