The Placement Test

Last night I had trouble sleeping as I thought about my Nana. I did my best to push those feelings away when I awoke to the sound of my 6:20am alarm. Knowing I would be taking Aydrian to school, I made sure to give myself enough time to cook a quick breakfast and briefly wake up Evie to tell her I would be leaving for a short time. Evie only nodded and rolled back over at my statement. I went down the hall to my room to check on Aydrian. Slowly, I cracked the door open and peeked my head in to see that Aydrian was still sound asleep. I retreated back down the stairs and into the kitchen to make some French toast. There weren't many fresh berries in the fridge, which meant I'd need to do a grocery run soon, but I could make do with what I had.

It was now 6:45am and I had just finished making French toast so I was going to wake up Aydrian. I turned around and she was smiling at me as I stared at her in awe of how beautiful she looked in the morning, especially in my t-shirt.

"I was about to wake you up," I said as I put a plate of French toast for her on the bar.

She walked over to the wooden bar stool and took a seat in front of the plate.

"I love French toast," she exclaimed while grabbing the fork I set next to her plate and cutting off a piece. The bite she made was drenched in syrup and paired with a thin strawberry slice. She brought it to her mouth and as soon as it touched her taste buds she moaned in response.

"This is delicious. Compliments to the chef," Aydrian said with a mouth full of food.

"Thank you," I laughed. "Now eat up and I'll drive you to school."

Her plate was cleared in no time so I took it to the sink and placed it inside. I looked back over at her and realized she still had pajamas on.

"You're welcome to borrow any clothes if you need," I told her.

"I think I'll just use this shirt and throw my jeans back on," she replied.

"Alright," I said before adding, "oh and there is a brand new toothbrush under the sink that you can use."

"Thank you," she nodded politely to me before making her way upstairs.

I sat down on the couch and scrolled mindlessly through Instagram as I waited for her to return. Ten minutes into my scrolling, I heard footsteps coming from the stairs so I got up and grabbed my keys. Aydrian silently followed me to my car and I opened the passenger door for her to get in. When I got in the drivers seat, I started the car and pulled out of my driveway onto the street. Within minutes we pulled into the school and she got out of the car.

"Thank you for everything," Aydrian said as she leaned against the open door.

"Anytime," I replied shooting a wink her way.

She rolled her eyes at me, trying her hardest to suppress a smile. The first bell rang and she quickly closed my car door and rushed towards the entrance to school while yelling out 'goodbye'. I pulled out of the school and back down the street to my house. When I opened the front door, Evie was sitting on the bar stuffing the French toast that I made for her into her mouth.

"You and Aydrian are so alike," I said, making my way to the seat next to her.

Evie looked over at me and with her mouth full of food she said, "makes since why you like her so much."

I could feel the heat rush to my face at what she'd said. I knew I was pretty obvious with my feelings for Aydrian, I mean I asked her out in the cheesiest way possible but she made it clear she wasn't into me when she turned me down and then went out with that Kevin guy.

"I don't like her," I silently stated.

"If you say so."

My phone rang and I stood up to answer it while Evie went back to eating her French toast. The number was from the school Evie and I went to enroll her in early yesterday morning. I accepted the call and put the phone to my ear.

"Hi. Mr. Maxton?" The voice on the line said.

"Yes, that is me," I responded.

"My name is Mr. Landon and I'm the Principal at Dankwood Elementary School. I went over Evelyn's paperwork and wanted to know when would be a good time for her to take the placement test?" Mr. Landon said.

"Um, we are free anytime this week so whatever works best for your schedule," I said.

Through the phone I could hear papers flipping before Mr. Landon spoke again, "how about today at 2:30pm?"

"That's perfect," I told him.

"Good. I will see you both then," he replied and with that he hung up.

I spun on my heels and walked back over to Evie who had finally finished eating. She gave me a puzzled look.

"That was the principal at Dankwood Elementary School. You are taking your placement test today," I said.

"No," she whined. "Not today."

"Yes today. Now go get ready."

                                        •••
The placement test was taken in an empty classroom at the elementary school. I was told to wait outside in the hallway while Evie took the test. Once she came out of the classroom she looked confident as ever.

"That test was so easy," she told me.

We were told to wait outside of the principal's office while he graded the test and decided where she would be placed. The entire twenty minutes that we sat there waiting for the results, Evie had her eyes drilling holes into the clock on the wall probably dying of boredom. Eventually, Mr. Landon came out with a single paper in his hand.

"Evelyn's test scores were outstanding. It says on the paperwork that you filled out that she is currently in the fifth grade and we are going to keep her there but we do offer certain advanced math and science classes that I have placed her in. Here on this paper is the home room teacher Evelyn will be assigned to as well as drop off and pick up times. She will be able to start tomorrow," Mr. Landon said to me as he handed me the paper. I took it and did a quick glance over.

"Thank you," I replied as Evie and I stood up and I shook Mr. Landon's hand.

Evie and I walked out of the school and back to the car. On our way home I remembered how badly I wanted fresh fruit, among other food items, so I took a quick detour to Fresh Choice, the healthy supermarket in town.

"Since you went along with taking the placement test and not fighting me about it, you can pick out one special treat while we're here," I said to Evie as we walked into the store.

"Yes!" She jumped excitedly and ran straight for the organic ice cream.

With this store being mainly fresh produce and healthier food items the cost was definitely more expensive but in the long run it was worth it to keep up my good health. I grabbed two boxes of cereal, some milk, a carton of eggs, three frozen pizzas, and tons of fresh berries and fruits along with lettuce and a couple other vegetables. The checkout line was short and before I knew it I was back at home unloading the food in the kitchen. It was late by then and Evie and I were both exhausted. Evie got ready for bed and said goodnight to me not long before I did the same.

Tomorrow was Evie's first day at a new school and tomorrow would be my first day back to school. I couldn't keep skipping it knowing that my dad would be disappointed in me for doing such on his account. He wouldn't have wanted me to pause my life and stop living because he did. I had to at least try.