15 | Hell On Earth

Eric says that we're going on a field trip. The way he said it set my nerves on edge but training ends right after that and while the others go to visit Tris, I set myself up on a recon mission. I'm going to find my things or repay the favor to those Candors. Either way, they won't be happy.

There's a little pep in my step despite the aching in my joints as I stalk back to the dorms. I check my belongings and see they've been left unchanged since this morning. Nothing has been returned so I turn toward Peter, Drew, and Mollys' beds. I rifle through their things for a bit before finding something that might be of significance under Peter's bed.

My red scarf was shoved amongst the cobwebs and it made that anger I had this morning skyrocket. I carry it with me as I practically run back toward the cafeteria. I was going to strangle him with it. My mother wouldn't be very proud of my new violent tendencies but I ignored all thoughts of reason.

All I really wanted was to eat dinner and shower but I had nothing else to change into. If I was lucky I'd be wearing all black at Peter's funeral. That thought almost makes me run into someone. Am I really willing to kill him over fabric? I ask myself and decide–probably.

When I make it into the cafeteria, it's packed to the brim, but I find Peter quickly thanks to Molly's big head. I stomp over to their table and stand behind Peter with my scarf, contemplating if I should go through with it. I was already on thin ice with Eric.

As much as I wanted to pull the fabric taut over Peter's smug face, I instead threw it down in front of him, covering his food in the blood-red fabric. When he tries to stand, I push him back down and glare at Molly. She and Drew sit back down, not out of fear, I know that, but because of how public this is.

"Recognize this, Peter?" I'm talking into his ear, so he can't pretend to not have heard me. "I do. In fact, I remember buying it in the boutique in the Pit just a few days ago. I wonder where you got it, hm?"

I squeeze his shoulders tightly when he opens his mouth, "If my things aren't back in their rightful places by tomorrow morning I will make your life hell on Earth and you'll be known as the boy who lost to a factionless girl."

I purposely dig my fingers into the flesh at the top of his biceps when I walk away to get some food. He won't be the reason I'm hungry.

"What was that in the cafeteria?" Four. I turn around short, nearly dropping the apple in my hand.

My face blanches, of course, he saw you, idiot. "Just saying hi to a friend," I lie through my teeth, forcing a smile as I tried to chew the bite I took before I noticed him.

Four's expression tells me enough–he's not convinced. "Nobody likes that kid except those two, what was that, initiate? I won't ask again."

His tone makes me angry, "He and his buddies stole from me. Everything–I'm talking every scarf, every sweater, pair of paints. Gone. Just because I'm doing well. And they painted Stiff all over Tris' bed and bedding. It took hours to get that damned paint out!" I admit, finally tired of these stupid games.

"Thank you for telling me, I'll take care of it."

"Wait, what?" I say and he turns back toward me, "Don't do anything obvious, because then Peter will know I told you. He'll give me hell for being a snitch."

Four almost chuckles, "Don't worry about it, Rita. I'll make sure he learns his lesson." There's something about the way he says that that makes me believe him. There's a promise within those words so I just nod and return to the dorms, ready to sleep in my gross clothes.

 There's a promise within those words so I just nod and return to the dorms, ready to sleep in my gross clothes

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Thank you for reading and for 28k reads! I'm so very excited for y'all to see what is to come! Please leave comments, I get super excited every time anyone comments so I am be very thankful for every comment!

Also, to my Muslim readers, Eid Mubarak! I hope everyone is doing well and that Ramadan went well for each and every one of you 💖