Chapter 65: Bloody Silence

"I think they are moving away from us," Shinso said.

"I agree, they must be pressing their advantage," Tokoyami said, who was now walking unassisted if not slowly.

The sounds of combat from their friends started moving away from them, further into the complex.

"I don't know how long I've been imprisoned... is the war still happening...?" Toru asked slowly.

"No, we won the war. Zeus took over the league's remnants after Shigaraki was taken out. He's been a pain as of late, but if all goes well, then we'll take him down tonight." Shinso said.

"You're... not being honest... I can tell..." Toru said tiredly.

Shinso grimaced.

"We lost most of our company getting this far. Originally we planned on having them holding our retreat open for us while he engaged Zeus, but now I don't know how we will manage. There was also a second group with us, but we got separated. I don't know if they can even reach Zeus from the route they were forced down." Shinso said.

"Then... they need all the help... they can get..." Toru said.

"You aren't going to help anyone in the state you are in, we'll get you to the area where we got off. When we deactivate the barrier barring our way out we'll get you the help you need." Shinso said.

"Not me... Tokoyami," she said.

"I'm feeling stronger by the moment. My muscles aren't in good shape, but Dark Shadow will thrive in this environment so I won't need to contribute much. I can go on ahead and help the others." Tokoyami said, stretching his arms a little.

"If you're sure you're okay, then I won't stop you. Dark Shadow will be of great help." Shinso said nodding.

With that, Dark Shadow lowered the hand holding Toru to the ground. They heard some shuffling and then Dark Shadow re-absorbed his hand, then wrapped himself around Tokoyami.

"Good luck and Toru, it's good to have you back," Tokoyami said before Dark Shadow flew down the hallway like a wraith.

"Where are you?" Shinso asked, getting down on his knees and holding his hands out.

"I'm here," Toru said, grabbing his hand.

He was surprised to feel her hand was stronger than he expected, at the very least they hadn't starved her to the point she was skin and bones.

He crept his hand along her arm until he managed to wrap one arm around her and he pulled her upright, one arm of hers over his shoulder as they started making slow progress down the hallway.

They had been walking for about a minute before Toru finally spoke.

"When I was younger, I had a lot of problems. My parents were killed in an accident, and I had many problems stemming from that. Eventually, I was taken in by a man and he helped me turn my life around. He thought I could do some good as a hero so I tried to go to U.A. I didn't think I could accomplish anything, my quirk wasn't very strong or that useful, but I wanted to live up to his expectations. After I got into U.A... well you know the rest. But that cheerfulness was a front, and I've wanted to say something to everyone for a long time..." She said, trailing off at the end.

To Shinso's surprise, she seemed to rally herself and her speech grew stronger the more she talked.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I'm a fucking good actor." She said flatly and without the weakness, she had had earlier.

His whole brain came to a halt, he opened his mouth to say something but was suddenly pushed to the side and he felt a jerk at his thigh.