Chapter 69: Remains

"This is the best I can do. We need to get Mina out of here and to an actual facility. The drugs I gave her will keep her out cold for a while and her heart rate low." Momo said, collapsing onto the floor, hands covered with acid burns and blood and shaking all over.

Mina's blood was usually in constant acidity unless she manually lowered it, a habit born from the war. It had taken her a bit to reduce it enough to where Momo could work but she hadn't managed it completely before passing out. She'd had to restart halfway through because the stitches had dissolved from the blood so she'd had to make an acid-resistant thread on the fly. Working had been slow and painful, but she was confident Mina would live for the next few hours at least. Enough time to get her to someone better-suited to healing.

"Will... will she be okay?" Kirishima asked, deathly pale.

"She'll live, that's the best I can say but it's not perfect. I'm not an actual surgeon, I just know field surgery." Momo said.

"I'll get to work on the rubble. Kirishima, with me," Todoroki said, gesturing to Kirishima who walked after him in a daze.

"The attacker was invisible.. it was an agent of Zeus who was given a copy of Toru's quirk, right?" Tokoyami asked, but Momo could feel the desperation behind it.

Momo didn't say anything, like Tokoyami she didn't want to believe it. She wiped the sweat off of her face. She suddenly paused though and her eyes widened and she turned to Tokoyami.

"Shinso..." she said suddenly, jumping to her feet and grabbing her rifle with a wince.

"Stay here with Mina, I'll go," Tokoyami said, and he swept out of the room.

As he practically flew out of the room, and back down the hallway. He heard Todoroki call out to him but he ignored it. Counting on Momo to explain things. He ran down the hallways to where he had left Shinso and Toru.

He slowed as he came to the area he think he had left them, it was hard to tell in the gloom but he eventually came across a shape. Slumped along the wall, and a huge pool of blood around him was Shinso. He skidded to a halt in front of him and got down on one knee. He stopped short of checking his pulse when she saw the gash across his throat. He just kneeled there as the weight of it all crashed down onto him. He put a hand out to the wall to steady himself as he suddenly felt weak and lightheaded.

"I... left him alone... I... It's my fault..." Tokoyami said and he fell to his knees.

"It's not your fault." Dark Shadows' voice suddenly said, moving up to face him.

"But-"

"No buts, none of us could have known that Toru was a traitor. While it was what she wanted, you still made the right choice to go on ahead and help everyone else. It's not your fault." Dark Shadow said firmly.

Silence fell over them until his voice broke the stillness.

"Traitor... Toru... was a traitor..." he said, not really able to believe it.

"No... no... her body... she must be dead too...!" Tokoyami said desperately.

He made no move to search for an invisible body, however.

"We can't do anything more for him. We'll collect him when this is all over and Zeus is dead." Dark Shadow said.

The shock seemed to fade as hate and anger replaced it.

"Zeus will pay for this," Tokoyami said, standing up.

As he got back to the main group he saw that Todoroki and Kirishima had made progress in clearing the rubble, a small tunnel, too small for any of them, had been made and was slowly being widened while Todoroki made periodic ice supports. Momo was present in the doorway leading to where Mina was, tending to her acid-burned hands as best she could.