Chapter Thirteen | 'Give someone the benefit of the doubt'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

Class passes by.

And the only thing on my mind is Mr Johnsons death.

Diávolos came to my house, blood down his thighs and over his hands. What if the blood on his hands were not his? What if he found out what Mr Johnson did to me and killed him? I take my phone out, dropping my pencil on the empty sketch book in front of me. I search up what Diávolos told me yesterday.

But before i could press enter, my phone is snatched out of my hand by Mrs Coffee. "Empty sketchbook Alex? Unlike you." She settles down beside me, a small smile printed on her face. "What's going on?"

"A friend of my dad's was murdered the other night." Her eyes widen in shock, she gives me a tight hug from the side. Rubbing my shoulders.

"I'm sorry for your loss." She whispers.

"Mrs Coffee, do you know what this means?" I take out the necklace from around my neck, Mrs Coffee's eyes stare at for a second. She sighs and pulls down the glass from her head and takes a closer look. Her fingers twiddling around it.

"Ahh, two swords with steel blades in an X shape, as crossed for combat between, if i remember correctly. Evil against good. It also means protection, now, where have i see this before? Oh, I know-"

"Prostasia."

"Mrs Coffee! I need help." She removes her gaze from my necklace and squeezes my shoulders before going to the student calling her name. I groan, rushing my fingers through my hair.

The bell rings, I pack my things into my back and exit the classroom. I push past students before my eyes catch Cathy's.

I rush towards her; she looks up and a big smile portrays her mouth. "Hey slut." I slap my hand against her mouth, and all she does is laugh. As if it was not big deal. I push her into the janitors room, closing the door behind us. I pull the string that switches on the lamp. "What's wrong?"

"It means protection." I whisper. She looks down at my necklace.

"The necklace?"

"Yes! It means protection! I knew it. I have to see him again."

"See who?"

"Diávolos gave me the necklace last night, he came in with blood all over his hands" She rolls her eyes.

"Diávolos is a fucking myth Ali, what is wrong with you?" The door opens, and the janitor glanced at the both of us. We immediately left and hurried to the lunch hall to continue our conversation.

We slide into our seats, and suddenly the news comes on. I glance up.

"And now breaking news, Mike Johnson, former - Has been murdered. Last night. Our condolences go the family, however" My eyes depart from Cathy, and all my focus has gone to the television. "It seems that on his body between his chest, is a particular sign. Two swords. Greek. And also known to be the signature sign from the killer, Diávolos. Guess he came back from being just a myth."

My heart drops down to my stomach when I see the sign. I clasp my necklace, and Cathy looks back at me. Her eyes widening. She knows. She finally believes me. Diávolos killed Mr Johnson. The same night he came to me with a wound, Mr Johnson probably have stabbed him with the knife he holds in his left pocket.

Diávolos definitely knew what he did, right? That he tried touching me inappropriately and i felt uncomfortable. "Diávolos killed him..." Cathy whispers. "You were right? But it still does not make sense!"