Chapter Fifteen

Anthony had decided that he needed to speak with Simon, regarding the whole 'courting' between him and Daphne. It was completely and utterly ridiculous. And there was obviously something suspicious going on, for Simon would never marry, he had made that quite clear. Something else was going on here. 

Anthony had entered the boxing arena to see Simon sparring with Will Monrich, who seemed to be winning, if they had been keeping score. "Might I have a word?" Anthony questioned as he approached the ring. "As many as you like, Bridgerton." Simon said simply, before throwing a punch at Monrich, who dodged it easily. Anthony rolled his eyes in annoyance, "You'll come down here? Or must I come up there?" 

Monrich nodded at Simon, his chest heaving from the exercise, "My fists have taken enough pounding from your chin today, your Dukeship." He said, bumping his fist against Simon's before exiting the ring, and Anthony replaced him immediately, throwing a punch at the man, Simon dodged it, causing him to loose his balance. But he regained it quickly, throwing another hook, which Simon dodged once again. "Well, what seems to be so urgent?" Simon questioned as the two continued to spar. "Are you courting my sister?" Anthony demanded to which Simon replied, "Should I not be courting your sister?" 

"No. And I can think of dozens of reasons why, starting with 'She is my sister' and ending with 'She is already engaged to be married', and then perhaps circling back to, 'She is my sister'!" He exclaimed, finally landing a punch to Simon's face, causing the man to stumble. Monrich laughed at this, to which Simon ignored as he regained his stance, "I was unaware of an engagement. Have the banns been read?" He asked. "I assure you all formal arrangements are underway. I have arranged everything with Nigel Berbrooke, having given him my word." Simon was shocked, "So you have struck something squarely? Your problem is that Berbrooke is an unworthy suitor for Miss Bridgerton." Simon grunted as he dodged Anthony's hand, jabbing him in the stomach, causing Anthony to groan in pain. "He is perfectly decent," Anthony retorted, "He is never seen going in and out of brothels, at least. I even know where he's been the past few years, right here in London. As opposed to some gambling hell, or backwater slum, or wherever it was you chose to fսck about for God knows whatever reason." He spat, anger welling up inside of him.

 Simon scoffed, "Nigel Berbrooke is hardly a saint." Anthony sighed, staring at the man, "You are and have long been a good friend. The best, really. But this is my sister. Think of all that we have shared as friends. It is furthest from my intentions to offend you, but surely you can understand that family must come before all else!" He exclaimed.

Simon was silent a moment before he spoke sternly, "And what of Loren?" "What of her?" Anthony questioned. "You say family comes before all else, and yet, you put her down." Anthony was shocked at the man's words as he continued, "I found her in the gardens last night, a sobbing mess. She wouldn't say any details, but she did mention you. So Bridgerton, you say family comes before all else? It seems as though you are lying to yourself." 

Anthony couldn't think of a response. He immediately wanted to shoot back with "She is not family." But he regretted the thought instantly. So ultimately, he decided to stay silent, leaving Simon alone in the ring, nodding a goodbye to Monrich. And he exited the boxing arena, feeling guilty as ever. 

He needed to make it up to Loren. For he couldn't loose her. And he was determined to do so. The only question was, how? His thoughts than drifted to the ball that was set for that evening, and a plan clicked into place. 

He was going to redeem himself, and he was going to get back on good terms with his Loren. And he'd never make the same mistake again.

Pretty short chapter, but I wanted to update. Enjoy this short chapter, and some drama will unfold next chapter!

Thank you for reading, and comment your thoughts!

I am in love with this man and decided to share him with you all bc we all need Anthony Bridgerton in our life <3

-Av-