Chapter 5 | Rest in Peace

"Yeah, it's sudden, but this PTA job just came up. So could you look after my Ryota for a little bit?" My neighbor asked.

"Sure." Dad replied. "No, problem."

"Really? That'll be great!" She then looked down at Ryota, "Behave yourself, okay?"

He didn't reply.

Anyway, me and Dad were chilling before that happened.

We three sat down. I smiled at the kid, "Hey! My name is (Y/n)."

"My name is Ryota." He replied.

"So, Ryota..." Dad started. He sat in a very menacing way, "Do you want to play a game?"

God, can you say it any more scarier?

Ryota just stared at him, then got up and bowed, "Thank you for watching me..." and almost started to walk away.

"Hey! Wait a minute..."

Ryota flinched.

"Don't you want some sweets, little boy?"

Dad, stop-

He then brought out some cookies he made earlier. "These cookies are freshly baked."

~

"Wow, did you make these all by yourself?" Ryota asked as he grabbed a cookie.

"No, (Y/n) helped me mostly." Dad smiled as he mentioned me.

"All I did was mixed and that's it.." I giggled.

"Yeah, but that is still help."

Ryota took a bite, and I can tell that he loved it, "Wow! This is really good, sir!"

I smiled as I got one, too. "I know, right? My Dad is the best." I smiled as I took a bite.

I could tell that my comment made him smile.

"Okay, kids. How about we play games?"

"Ooh, I'm down." I commented.

"Me! Me! I am really good at games!" Ryota joined.

...

Dad basically brought out gambling games...

"Yo, you can't play games like this with kids!" Ryota claimed.

"How about we play some Mario Kart Wii?" I asked Ryota.

His eyes lit up, "You have Mario Kart?!"

"Yep! Let me set it up!"

~

Ryota was right, he is really good at games... He beat me 4 times... FOUR! I played this game for a long time... how could he beat me?! I beat the 200cc MIRROR cups!!!

Ryota looked around the family room and saw one of Mom's figurines, "Woah! Is that the Cobalt Police from Policure?!" He then ran to it and grabbed it. "It is!" He started playing with it.

And then... Tragedy struck...

Ryota tripped on his other leg and ended up snapping the figurine into 2. "Woah!!"

I gasped and ran towards him to see if he was okay.

Dad heard Ryota yell and ran into the family room, "What happened?"

Ryota just looked at the 2 piece figurine and stayed silent.

"Have you been injured?!" Dad was worried.

"I...I'm..." Ryota picked up the pieces and looked at Dad, "I'm sorry, it's just..."

Dad looked at the murder on Ryota's hands, he grabbed them and looked at them... "This..." He then placed it on the floor.

I swear, I heard a flatline sound somewhere.

Dad kneeled over it, "Live... Dammit... STAY WITH ME! BLUE POLICURE THING!!"

Ryota freaked out, "Wha.. What do we do now?!"

I went to the family room closest to look for some glue, but Dad stopped me by raising his hand, as he was saying "Don't worry, I'll handle this."

"Don't worry," Dad started, "I'm going to take care of this..."

~

Now, we were outside in the yard, with a shovel, bucket, and a small dead woman in our hands.

"Everyone makes mistakes." Dad commented. "What's important is how you... set things straight afterwards..." He pulled out a cloth and started cleaning the figurine. He then placed and dismembered parts in the bucket and started to dig a hole,

"Dad... I don't think this is necessary..." I commented.

"Sweetheart, I know what I'm doing...." He kept digging, "Just like how my old boss used to say to me..." He grabbed the bucket and placed it in the hole. "If you make a mistake, put it six feet under." He proceeded to bury the bucket. "You see?" He looked at Ryota.

Ryota looked puzzled but yet, "I see now..."

"Don't influence the kid like that." I looked at Dad.

I heard similar high heel steps behind us, "Oh, hey guys. What's happening out here?"

Dad flinched. He then turned around, and started bowing.

Mom and I decided to just glue the figurine together