16. Awakening

Droplets of water fell upon Mr Rikkard Ambrose's cheeks. He twitched, stirring in his unnatural slumber, and then...

Splash!

"Bloody hell!"

Cursing, I glared down at Mr Rikkard Ambrose's soaked face. Miles. I had marched for miles through the jungle to find my way back to this dratted cave, losing half of the water in the process. Bloody miles! Or at least that's what it had felt like! And now all that effort was wasted!

Well...not exactly wasted. At least now I knew that it would take more than a splash of water in the face to wake my husband up again from his poison-induced slumber. Which was more than slightly worrying.

One problem after another, Lilly. Right now, you've got other matters to solve.

Like finally getting some liquid into him. Worrying about whatever poison was coursing through his veins would be of no use if he died of thirst before she could do anything to help.

Making my way outside the cave, I started back into the jungle. Luckily, the path I had left in the underbrush was now pronounced enough that I could easily find my way to the pond. When I stepped into the clearing, Fence was happily running around, chasing after butterflies. Silently, I wondered whether he wanted them to throw sticks for him, too. I wouldn't put it past him.

"Hey! Stop bothering those poor butterflies and come over here!"

"Woof?"

"I'll need my whole focus to keep the water from spilling. I can't concentrate on the path while doing that. Stop playing around and lead the way, will you?"

"Woof?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, yes, I'll throw the stick for you later."

"Woof!"

Following Fence's swaying tail, I managed to make it back to the cave without spilling more than a third of the water. It was only as I once more stood above Mr Rikkard Ambrose that something occurred to me: how the bloody hell was I going to get the water into him? It wasn't as if, being unconscious, he would helpfully open his mouth.

Not that he did that very often while conscious, either.

Nibbling my lower lip, I stared down at him. What could I do...?

Oh yes! That's right! You can hold his nose shut, right? Holding someone's nose shut will force them to swallow.

Except there was just one small problem with that. I would need a hand free to hold his nose shut, and another one to open his mouth. Two hands free—both of which were currently occupied with desperately trying to keep water from dripping through my fingers.

Plus there was the little fact I had read about the nose-pinching method of making someone swallow in an adventure novel about a prince going vampire hunting in a fictional country. As such, it might not be entirely reliable.

But what else could I do? What else...

Ah!

Letting go of the water with a splash, I whirled around and dashed back to the pond. The moment I reached the place, I started tearing at my petticoat. It didn't take long till I had a sizable rag in my hands. Dumping it into the water, I waited until it was completely soaked, then cupped it in both hands and started carrying the sodden piece of cloth back towards the cave.

"Woof?"

"I'm too busy to explain. If you want to know what I'm doing, just sit and watch."

Two minutes later, I was back beside my husband. Kneeling down with the wet cloth in one hand, I pulled Mr Ambrose's mouth open with the other, and...