lxxxv. birthday parties and me don't have a good track record

chapter eighty-five

─── birthday parties and me don't have a good track record

          𝕾trangely enough, the summer was normal after that. Daily activities continued; we played capture the flag, sang at the campfire, played with Mrs O'Leary on the beach. Luke spent a lot of time on errands for Chiron, so Annabeth and I had a lot more girl time.

I needed to talk to Luke about Kronos, but there was never a good time to bring it up. When he was coming back, I just wanted to see him and spend time with him, and he was always tired or worn out, so I didn't think bringing Kronos up was the best plan.

July passed, August brought a heat wave and soon, the last day of camp had arrived. I had the letter, saying if I wasn't out, I'd be eaten, but I knew that Luke was coming to pick me up.

Thus, by ten o'clock, I was on top of Half-Blood Hill, waiting for Luke. I'd made arrangements for Mrs. O'Leary, and I was going to send my uncle Hades a message about bringing Mrs. O'Leary to him. She'd have a better life in the Underworld than here.

Annabeth was remaining here, wanting to go through Daedalus' laptop for longer before going back to her father's place in San Francisco.

"There's a private school out there that I'll be going to," she said. "I'll probably hate it, but..."

"You haven't even gone yet." I pointed out. "Stop jumping to conclusions. You never know, you might love it."

She pulled a face as I tugged her into my side and kissed her head.

"You be good, yes? Don't do a me." She laughed, shaking her head. "I meant to ask. What's the rest of the prophecy?"

She went quiet, so I continued.

"You shall delve in the darkness of the endless maze," I remembered. "The dead, the traitor, and the lost one raise. We raised a lot of the dead. We saved Ethan Nakamura, who turned out to be a traitor. We raised the spirit of Pan, the lost one."

Annabeth shook her head like she wanted me to stop.

"You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand," I pressed on, knowing that we needed to get this out into the open. "That wasn't Minos. It was Nico. By choosing to be on our side, he saved us. And the child of Athena's final stand— that was Daedalus."

"Romy—"

"Destroy with a hero's final breath. That makes sense now. Daedalus died to destroy the Labyrinth. But what was the last—"