Chapter 16: Caught In The Act.

Hi,

Sorry for being a little late with this chapter. I was going through a mini writer’s block and I had a few issues to deal with in the plot before I finally posted. Thank u for ur patience, hope u enjoy this chapter too.

Once again thank you for reading and I hope u guys will continue to support “A Christmas Wish” with ur VOTES and COMMENTS, especially now since it has just gotten chosen for the gatekeeper contest round 2, it needs all the support it can get :-)

CHAPTER 16:

CAUGHT IN THE ACT:

“Are you alright, Lady Sarah?”

No she was not, she had been sitting in a God forsaken wagon, loaded with her chest of clothes, for god knows how many hours now and her backside was black and blue. It wasn’t even one of those sumptuous wagons they used for traveling nobility; the Baron had stuffed her in the back of a covered wagon that was used for transporting goods. No doubt he had done it to ensure no one suspected anything but Sarah was not a piece of wood and her smarting arse was proof of that fact.

Her knuckles were white from holding onto the hard makeshift wooden seat she was sitting on and she was beginning to feel just a little bit nauseous. God only knew how these people could stomach travelling in these wagons, pitching them wildly about on the pot-holed dirt tracks, that couldn’t even qualify as roads by any wild stretch of the imagination.

The worst part of it was that Sarah couldn’t even look outside, the wagon was covered with a painted maroon cloth, and the scenery was a passing blur, hardly discernable through the thick cloth. Sarah had no idea where they were headed; all she knew was that they were going to the Convent on the outskirts of Morsham; where ever that may be.

She glanced at Benedict who sat across from her on the other seat, staring at her with a worried frown on his face. Sarah tried to muster a weak smile for his benefit.

The wagon pitched wildly again as the wooden wheels passed over yet another pot hole and Sarah jumped several inches in the air, hitting the hard wooden seat with a thud as she landed. God damn it, she had had just about enough of this ride from hell. The sooner they got to the damn Convent the better she would feel.

“How far is it, Benedict?

“Not too much further milady, we should be getting there momentarily.”

Good, Sarah thought, her arse couldn’t take much more of this.

She was glad Benedict wasn’t asking her too many questions about why she was doing this. She was not in a mood to tell him anything yet. He had gotten into the wagon beside her this morning and not said a word about this new turn of events. They had spoken about a few things but it was all very superficial, nothing as serious as her motives or why she had decided to go to a Convent to become a nun of all crazy things.

Now that she thought about it, Benedict’s undemanding company on this ride had done a lot to calm her down, he hadn’t pressed her for an explanation and Sarah was very grateful to him for that.  She had a feeling it wasn’t just because she had been giving off the “don’t ask any questions vibe”. She knew that wasn’t the only reason why he had stayed silent on the issue, it was more likely because he was a genuine friend and he had decided to give her some space, to let her tell him in her own sweet time.  

Up until now she hadn’t really been paying Benedict or her surroundings much attention. Her mind was too diverted thinking about what was going on in the manor.