51

"Hello, Nina Ramos speaking. If this is one of Tony's drunken mistakes, kindly fuck off, I will not be connecting you with my father," Nina's practised response to unscheduled phone calls slipped out with ease as she answered her ringing phone.

She couldn't help the slight smile that took over her lips at her words, remembering the one time she'd accidentally answered Tony's phone with the response and the person on the other end happened to be her principal. Although the billionaire found the whole ordeal hilarious, she'd ended up in a month of detention because said principal had not.

"Um... you didn't check caller ID did you?"

"Leo!" She cheered as she recognised the engineer's voice, "I never usually do, at least not on my personal phone."

"You have two phones?" He asked and Nina nodded, before realising he couldn't see her and speaking,

"Yeah, SHIELD monitored all my devices after the whole mass murder thing. Something about going dark and killing 113 people didn't foster much trust," she answered casually, pulling herself up into a seated position, "Hill got irritated with all the fan calls, requests to sleep with Tony and Tony sharing his latest conquests. She told me to get a personal phone so I did."

"Do they still monitor it now?"

"I actually don't know, I should probably ask Coulson," Nina hummed, she knew they had last year but then she went and 'died' so she wasn't all too sure, "so why'd you call, aren't we on the same base?"

"We are, I was looking around but I couldn't find you," Fitz told her and Nina could almost picture his pout.

"Understandable," was her response as she looked around her current location, still sat on top of a plane in the vehicle bay, before nodding. It would honestly be surprising if he had found her, "why are you looking for me?"

"I wanted to spend some time with you before Simmons finishes indexing Lincoln," he said nonchalantly while Nina tensed at the sincerity in his voice.

"Oh... why?" The question slipped out before she could stop herself and she heard Fitz laugh softly on his side of the call.

"I know you sometimes forget to eat, so I made you a burrito. Also... I like spending time with you," was all he said and Nina had to pull the phone from her ear for a moment to stop Fitz from hearing her flustered gasp, "so where are you?"

"... by the planes."

"Really, I'm just around the corner," Nina didn't say anything as she heard his footsteps quicken on his end of the line, nor did she speak when she heard the door open and those footsteps hit the concrete, "I'm here but I can't see you. Are you on a plane?"

"Kinda," was her answer before she stood up. She could see Fitz at the entrance and she watched as he looked at the vehicles in glee, noting the burrito shaped tinfoil in his hand, "look up."

Fitz heeded her advice and looked up. She watched with a soft smile as his features formed into slight shock before they softened and he chuckled heartily into the phone. He looked at her with so much love that Nina couldn't help but reciprocate the look, ignoring the warm feeling in her stomach.

"How did you even get up there and why?" he asked.

"Shadow staircase," she answered proudly before taking on the second question, "I wanted to relax but Gonzalez has agents watching my bunk so it was either this or the vents and my inner Hawkeye just wasn't feeling it today."

"Your inner what?" Fitz asked confused.

"Tower joke," she told him and he nodded. He didn't understand the joke but he didn't mind, seeing it made her smile and that was all that mattered, "you wanna come up?"