C H A P T E R 7 6

Squad 451, now consisting of: Gale, Jackson, Katniss, Jessica, Finnick, Leah, Peeta, Castor, Pollux, Cressida, Messalla and Homes (as well as the Leeg sisters back in the other building) broke into, and took refuge in, one of the fancy Capitol houses.

The room and furniture was mainly white with the odd colourful decoration here and there. They close the curtains for cover. They hear trucks enter the courtyard as Peacekeepers file into the open area. They enter the building, which the squad had just evacuated, with guns aimed and ready. They fire their guns and, moments later, send in a missile causing the house to explode and crumble.

If the Leeg sisters hadn't been shot, they'd been crushed.

Our of nowhere, the tv turned on, the screen saying 'Mandatory viewing. Attention all Panem residents.' The screen quickly switched to a solemn looking Caesar Flickerman with faded pink, almost white, hair and bright magenta eyebrows.

"Good afternoon. I'm Caesar Flickerman here with our continuing coverage of the defence of the Capitol," he introduced himself, as if everyone didn't already know who he was. "Today, as our Peacekeepers valiantly hold off the rebels, our story takes a surprising twist." The screen changes to show footage of the black liquid appearing that had happened outside just minutes earlier. "Katniss Everdeen, one of our once favourite daughters, has infiltrated the city with some of the Victors whose names are all too familiar. Finnick Odair, Peeta Mellark and Jessica Miller, or should I say Odair."

The tv showed Peeta lunging at and attacking Katniss, "clearly, some alliances don't last forever." Caesar says as Katniss looks at Peeta seeing his eyes tearing up. "Take a look what happened just a moment ago when our Peacekeepers cornered Katniss Everdeen and her band of foolish rebels. Whatever arrogance brought this treacherous girl back to us, you are about to witness a great victory, not only for the Capitol, but for Panem." The video shows the Peacekeepers in white shooting and bombing the building in which the Leeg sisters were in. "So there you have it. Katniss Everdeen, the Girl on Fire. A girl who inspired so much violence seems to have met a violent death herself. Stay tuned for more information. Caesar Flickerman. Thank you." Caesar disappears from the screen and is replaced by the symbol of the Capitol.

"So now that we're dead, what are we going to do?" Gale asks.

"Isn't it obvious?" Peeta pauses. "The next move is to kill me."

The room goes silent until Jessica steps closer, "no," she says simply and to the point.

"I murdered one of our squad members. Katniss was right. I'm a mutt, and it's only a matter of time before I snap again. I'm not in control. I need a nightlock pill, so I can die when I need to."

Jessica looks around the room before walking towards Peeta, "no, Peeta, you're not killing yourself, okay? You won't take the easy way out because that's not you. You don't give up. Never have, never will, so don't you dare give up now."

Peeta looks up at Jessica and then at Katniss who nods, clearly agreeing with Jessica.

"If it gets to that point, I'll kill you myself," Gale says earring a glare from Jessica, Katniss and Finnick.

"Listen, Hawthorn, you try anything and you'll have me to deal with. I've been through two Hunger Games and Capitol torture, so I'm pretty damn confident I can take you on," Jessica threatens Gale as Finnick smirks proudly from beside her.

AN: I love protective Jess