Chapter 27

Gunnar's offer was still on Penelope's mind as she reclined in the Adirondack chair on Beth's porch

Gunnar's offer was still on Penelope's mind as she reclined in the Adirondack chair on Beth's porch. It was hours later and she had only told the mayor that she'd 'think about it' to get him off her back but she hadn't actually intended to follow through. Yet now his offer had dug in at the back of her mind and just wouldn't let go. She shook her head, like that might loosen its grip, but it didn't. She frowned beneath her oversized sunglasses and looked around the campground for something—anything—to distract her.

The campground was somehow even busier than the day before. It was late in the afternoon and the guests were returning from their day excursions back and coming home to their camps for dinner. The place was teeming with life as people gathered outside in the good weather, circling around their fire pits to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. In the distance, Penelope could hear a guitar strumming over the slight smokey air.

This place must be making a pretty penny, Penelope thought as she looked over the crowded campground. But thinking of Beth only brought up Gunnar's offer again. She was exactly the kind of small business owner who benefitted from the town's booming tourism...

Enough of this, Penelope thought with a mutter and a growl. She dug her phone out of her hoodie and pulled up Twitter to do some mindless scrolling. She had been avoiding it all day, but now it seemed like a welcome distraction. As she opened the app, she was not surprised to find her mentions chock full of people vying for her attention. As she tried to read them, more added to the pile, pushing the others down. She scrolled after them, trying to keep up, but it was impossible.

She chose one at random, tapping at the individual tweet before it could slide off the screen. But her random choice hadn't been a good one. The tweet was from a user named Daevons001Girl and their message read:

Does anyone else think that Paranelope had something to do with Daevonic's disappearance?

They finished their thought with the emoji of a person raising their hand. The tweet included a poll, and the majority of votes—hundreds of them—fell under the 'YES' answer.

It's WAY too much of a coincidence that they BOTH ended up in Ridgestone, someone replied. SHE'S A TOTAL STALKER!

Yeah I bet she followed him after he dumped her, someone else added. Bitter ex much?