Rebel Spirit pt. 1

Six months had passed. The Equalists were gone. Amon was gone. Peace had come to the city. The council had been disbanded and the United Republic elected its first president. Things were peaceful on Air Temple Island too. Well, as peaceful as it could be with three kids, two teenagers, a baby and an erratic retired United Nations commander currently living there.

Zira had gone back to the Fire Nation for a while with Katara, promising she'd meet up with them at the Glacier Spirit Festival in the South Pole. 

The arena had been opened again, much to Elira's delight, but things weren't exactly like they were before. Asami had taken over Future Industries now that her father was in jail, Mako had gotten a new job in the police force and Korra was focusing on mastering her newly revealed airbending. Leaving Bolin and El to scrounge up some replacements. 

"Iiiiit's pro-bending night in Republic City, and have we got a doozy for you! Fan favourites, the Fire Ferrets, are about to take on hot newcomers, the Rhino Lions!" Shiro announced making the crowd cheer as El stood in the locker room with Bo and their new teammates. 

Bolin had his hands on his hips, trying to look stern while El stood next to him with her arms crossed. Behind them,  Pabu and Pichi were perched atop the railing separating the player's locker room from the playing field.

"Now we all know that our last match was garbage. Terrible!  Even Pabu could've done a better job" Bolin gestured to his fire ferret who walked up to him and puts his paws on his master's side while squeaking.

Bolin took on a more confident and proud posture; speaking in a more cheerful tone " But that's in the past because when you back a Fire Ferret in the corner, well mister, he comes out fighting!"

 Bolin confidently raised his fist before his body, while Pabu hissed, arching his back. He pointed toward the arena " So, let's get out there and bend like there's no tomorrow. Are ya with me?" 

Elira glanced at their new teammates. The male waterbender, who somewhat resembled Mako, was sitting dejectedly on the bench, while the female firebender, who somewhat resembled Korra, stood awkwardly next to him. She glanced down at her teammate, holding her elbow. The only reaction of either of them came from the waterbender, who rubbed his nose while sniffing.

The airbender frowned, turning to look at her friend whose excited expression had fallen to a sad one, pensively glancing to the side. She placed a hand on his shoulder making him turn to her. 

"Hey, you got this, dirt brain. Yes, your last match wasn't what we hoped for, but learn from that and improve. You can do this, Bo. I know you can" Elira encouraged with a closed eye smile. 

"What would I do without you, airhead?" Bolin smiled back 

"Be late for your next match?" The girl teased, ignoring how her cheeks flushed red as she took Bolin's helmet from his hands and secured it over his head. 

"Good luck out there, guys. I'll be rooting for ya" She waved as the team made their way out into the ring. 

The Fire Ferrets and the Rhino Lions lined up before each other in the ring. 

As the starting bell rang, both teams readied their respective element. 

"Come on, Fe--" Elira didn't even get to finish her cheer before a loud crash was heard. 

She watched, grimacing, as Bolin, followed by his two teammates, were knocked over the rim into the water, each being hit by their respective element. The buzzer sounded, signalling a zone line has been crossed.

"Ooh, the Fire Ferrets go down in the water, and right into the record books for the fastest knockout in Pro-bending history!" Shiro announced as down in the water, Bolin pulled his torso on the platform, putting his head down, defeated and  sighing in disappointment