23 | They Have Cake

Visiting day is today. Edward and I spent the night in the infirmary. He's way worse off than I am, but I had to get stitches in my forehead and minimal pain meds for my neck. It's bruised so bad that it hurts to swallow. I'm well enough to walk to the dorms on my own, but Edward's laying silently in his bed as I slip out of the infirmary.

I make it just before Eric does, he lets me in first and I find my way to my bed to gather the dress I chose for today. It's long and flowy, with short lace sleeves and a long black undergarment. I roll my pants up as I pull long black socks up my legs.

"Attention! I want to give you some advice about today. If by some miracle your families do come to visit you... which I doubt..." His beady eyes land on me, "It is best not to seem too attached. That will be easier for you, and easier for them. We also take the phrase 'faction before blood' very seriously here. Attachment to your family suggests you aren't entirely pleased with your faction, which would be shameful. Understand?"

The threat is as clear as day. I wait for everyone to clear out, Eric waits behind, giving me a funny look. "You're doing well, fractured, didn't expect that from you."

"I'm flattered." I deadpan, already annoyed with him. He doesn't even try and I get annoyed. It's like magic.

Eric laughs and leaves the dorm, I change as fast as I can. Checking that I'm covered and I wear the scarf my mother gave me. Tammi's jacket lays at the bottom of my drawer, my arms are bare with this dress so I grab it and slide it on. It has a faint smell of him.

My feet carry me to the pit quickly, I run into Tris. "Hey," She nods at me and I walk in stride with her, "I hope someone showed up for you," I find that I really mean it and it surprises me.

"Thank you, I hope they let your family come."

"Chances are they didn't, everyone's been flaunting their factioned status but I'm still factionless at heart." The meaning behind my words dawns on Tris as she focuses on someone in front of her. "Is that your mother?" I see a woman who looks strikingly like Tris and her face lights up. "Go see her," I nudge Tris forward and begin searching for any of my family members.

I see Four and he sees me at the same second. That same look he gave me yesterday after beating Edward is there. He breaks eye contact this time. It takes a while of looking for me to see them, I don't even believe it for a second but then I'm running across the pit. Avoiding all the dangers and running right into Tamino's arms.

"Oh my, oh my, I didn't think they'd let you guys come." My voice is muffled by his chest as he holds me so tightly. "I missed you so much," I looked up at him before squeezing him once more. Then I see my ma and the tears finally win, I rush to her and somehow she seems smaller than before.

"My Rose," I didn't realize how much I missed the sound of my mother's voice. "Let me look at you," She holds my face in her hands, eyes scanning every feature. I can tell when she sees the faded bruise on my eye and the bright purple one on my cheek, "By Allah, what happened to you?"

I choke up, "Initiation, it's okay, I'm winning." David isn't here. I think I know why. But Baba is, I'm hugging him so tightly next then it's down to Ada Jane. "Hey, bubs." She's crying but I assure her I'm okay. I see that she's wearing a hijab, matching my mother and it makes it harder for me to contain my tears.

"Tell David that I'm in first, I've been in the top five since I got here and I was the first jumper. My team won the game too." I don't have to elaborate for my dad to understand, he just nods, squeezing the hand he's holding. "How did you get to come?"

Baba shrugs, "We received notice that we were allowed to come. Direct family only, David would have but–it's been too soon since he left, someone might recognize him." He speaks in Arabic and I understand why. There are cameras all over the compound. It's hard to avoid them.