sixteen.

"Green"

KINLEY ADAMS

I woke up the next day feeling better than I had in a while. I went to the loo and observed my arms in the mirror. The skin was clean, healthy. They looked as if they've never been touched before — except for the slight scarring on my left forearm.

For the first time in weeks, I went to the Great Hall in a short-sleeve. Although I typically concealed my bruises with a charm, I never took the risk to wear a sleeveless shirt in fear that the charm would fade off.

I forked 2 pancakes and a few sausages onto my plate and shoveled spoonfuls of porridge into my mouth — I felt like this was the first time I've ever had an appetite. I scanned the Great Hall from the Gryffindor table in search of Malfoy. I wanted to thank him for last night. He was crowded by Theodore Nott, Pansy Parkinson, Blaise Zabini, and Daphne Greengrass. His eyes met mine from the Slytherin table. I didn't want to walk up to him — it seemed dodgy.

"Thank you," I mouthed from the Gryffindor table.

He flashed his eyebrows at me and smiled lowly to the point where no one else could see him. He glanced to the left of me, dropping his fork onto his plate and sitting upright. His eyebrows became knitted close together and his jaw was jut slightly forward. His eyes narrowed slightly.

"Oi, someone's hungry," Dean Thomas laughed as he sat beside me, tossing a few kippers and scrambled eggs onto his plate.

I glanced between Dean and Draco, watching the way Draco's expression changed the same way it did when I talked to Blaise during Christmas break. I looked back at Dean and smiled. "Morning, Dean."

He took a glimpse of the Slytherin table. "Whats got Malfoy's wand in a knot? That bloke doesn't know how to mind his own."

I looked at Draco, who was now rolling his eyes at me. I shrugged my shoulders, "I haven't noticed."

Dean hummed in suspicion, and curiosity. "He hasn't given you any problems lately, has he?"

"What do you mean? No, of course not. I haven't said a word to him since like... third year," Lie. I flashed my eyes at Malfoy and back to Dean.

"Alright, I just wasn't sure." He said it as if he knew I was lying. "He keeps eyeing our table, specifically in your region," Dean said.

Our conversation was cut short as Harry walked up on the other side of me, propping his hand on the table. His expression read worried, and confused. His eyes flit down to my arms then back at me, they widened slightly. "We need to talk, if that's alright." His voice was stern, yet there was still a tenderness to it.

"Okay talk," I said, obliviously.

"I don't want to do it here," Harry gandered at all the witches and wizards in the Great Hall, keeping his voice low so Dean couldn't hear him. "I'd rather it be somewhere private."

Dean looked at the two of us. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing, Dean," Harry started then turned to me. "Come here for a second, Kinley." Harry grabbed my wrist and pulled me out into the corridor. Draco watched us walk out, glaring at me as if I were doing something wrong. I turned away from him — afraid that if I looked any longer he'd get out of his seat and rip me from Harry. We were now behind the oak doors of the Great Hall, the same place Draco had pulled me to before he —

"How are you doing?" Harry asked, snapping me out of a flashback.

I subtly laughed. "I'm okay, Harry. If you just wanted to ask how I've been you could have done it in the Great Hall. I don't mind."