ch. 14 - risk

'she was like a landscape you see from the train, and you just want to stop there'[graham greene]

[graham greene]

><><

The rain landed on the tent roof in loud patters, and as Ron and Hermione came into the room, the former handed her a mug of hot green tea, placed another on the nearby table, and sat down with their own. Steam swirled from the rim of the mug, battling against the cool air.

Addie had been on the makeshift couch for about an hour now, not wanting to move as Harry had fallen asleep on her shoulder—even when she was the one meant to be resting, as his soft breath fanned her neck. As a sliver of cold breeze whistled through the room, she shifted closer to him, pulling the blanket further up her legs as his silky dark hair brushed against her cheek.

"So...I don't really understand," Addie spoke softly, mindful of the sleeping boy beside her. She held her cup with both hands, warming them. "There's dark magic...in the Black Lake?"

Hermione nodded as she took a sip of her drink. "There was a mass gravesite under it from thousands of years ago, where wizards with very pure dark magic were left. I guess that, over time as their bodies decomposed, the magic sort of...seeped into the water as the lake formed. We think that Voldemort found out about this, and hid you in the lake for convenience as he experimented with the dark magic in the water."

"But why was he experimenting with it?"

"Well...I think he must have used it to create Dabria, as part of the potion he put you in," Hermione said gently. Addie swallowed down her nausea. "He used you as the 'host' for her."

Addie crossed her arms, hugging her torso. She shifted uncomfortably, suddenly hyperaware of Dabria... that thing lurking under her skin, ready to strike at any given moment. An uncontrollable force she couldn't contain.

As if sensing her unease, Harry stirred beside her. He sat up straighter groggily, rubbing his eyes with a yawn, and automatically rested his hand on her thigh as he tuned in to the conversation.

"But I think..." Hermione glanced wearily at Harry, "...I think there's a way we can get rid of the dark magic; destroy Dabria. Voldemort would never be able to use you for his own bidding again. His strongest weapon would be gone, and you would have your body back."

"What? How?" Addie sat up in disbelief. "I mean, whatever it is, we have to try, right? It would be a turning point for the war!" She glanced at Harry, but he didn't share her eagerness. Instead, he eyed the bookworm skeptically. "What is it?"

"No. It's way too risky," he shook his head. Addie looked between himself and Hermione. Clearly, they'd talked about this before. "We're not doing that."