ch. 12 - him with her

'all i want is for you to hold me and maybe put me back together again'

[sarah doughty]

><><

!! two brief mentions of very mild self-harm. will be indicated with a TW

"How did you get that?" He asked quietly. Addie couldn't tell if he was mad or not, even as his eyes met hers. She could never quite decipher him.

"I don't know, I—" her voice wobbled, suddenly feeling isolated. It wasn't even the mark itself she worried about: it was everything it represented. It showed support for Voldemort; the exact person who had been trying to kill the boy she loves for years, and here it was, exhibited carelessly open on her skin. "It was just there when I first woke up at the manor."

TW Harry's gaze flickered back down to the inky black Dark Mark, and it was then that he saw the scratch marks around it.

His heart dropped. "Addie—" he started, his voice catching a little, but a sob had already left her mouth.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she cried, slumping helplessly back onto the stool, hiding her arm behind her back. "Please don't hate me. I didn't want it—I promise I never wanted it, it was just there and I hate it and it won't come off, I can't get it off—" Her words dissolved into sobs that wracked her chest and made it hard to breathe. "They're calling me a death eater now but I'm not."

Addie felt his hand meet her shoulder. She looked up at him through watery eyes that just kept crying to see his blurry figure kneeling before her.

"Don't ever think that I could hate you. Nothing could make me hate you," he said firmly, which only made her cry harder. Her face was wet and blotchy and it made his heart break. "There's nothing to be sorry for, Addie," Harry's voice became softer, and she let him bring her arm back around.

Addie sniffed and watched as he brought it up to his sight, looking closely at the Dark Mark. His hand was warm against her skin. "Does it hurt?" he asked, looking up, and she shook her head.

TW Harry eyed the pink skin around the tattoo as a result of her scratching.

He gently ran his hand over the mark and pressed a kiss on top of it, but she still couldn't stand to look at it. Harry saw the raw skin that enveloped her wrists in thick circles and tapped it lightly with his finger, looking up at her with an unspoken question.

"Chains," Addie said quietly, wiping her tears away with the back of her hand. He nodded, swallowing guiltily as he looked down at the floor and dragged the med bag over again.