FORTY NINE

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

A few hours had passed and Nella informed me that Mace had made dinner for the lot of us, nothing better than a nice civil family dinner together

A few hours had passed and Nella informed me that Mace had made dinner for the lot of us, nothing better than a nice civil family dinner together. When I get down to the kitchen everyone was already there, including Kassian.

His scent overpowered everyone else's, including the sausage casserole that was currently keeping warm on the stove. It almost knocks me backwards and I have to take a moment to stabilise myself because it's all that I can smell, his warm and homely scent that makes me want to smother my face into his neck and forget everything that happened.

Kassian glances over his shoulder like he could sense my presence a mile off, he arranges the plates and our eyes meet for a split second before Nella grips onto my wrist.

"Just in time," she smiles, snapping me out of my trance. "They're plating up now."

"Great," I force out and Nella pulls me over to the table.

Hope greets me and we share a few words before she starts buttering fresh cut pieces of tiger bread. I perch furthest away as everyone rushes around me, cutlery, plates, bread and casserole.

Soon we all sit down and dig in, I didn't really know where to look or what to say. Kassian kept silent across the table, even my heart ached at the weirdness that surrounded the kitchen.

"Mmmm, this is great Mace," Hope says to break the silence.

"Cheers Hope."

Other than their voices, all that could be heard was the sound of knives and forks clanging against the china bowls and the chewing of food.

I glance up once and watch as Nella gives Hope the eyes who then in turn gives eyes to Alfie. They couldn't make it more obvious that they were mindlinking but I didn't care, this dinner was awkward as fuck.

Maybe if they just spoke amongst themselves they wouldn't even know that we were here. But clearly the tension was too high to ignore and they couldn't help but get involved.

I take a quick glance up at Kassian but his eyes were down in his food so I copy his actions, giving out a silent sigh.

Nella's fork drops into her bowl and she leans back in her chair, puffing out one breath. "You two gonna talk or what?" She says as she flicks her eyes between Kassian and me.

Mace nods once, relieved that someone finally said something. I refuse to look Kassian's way because looking at him hurt and I didn't want to look in his eyes when he stared back at me with nothing but guilt.

But I didn't expect him to clear his throat and say, "I'm giving Cleo space."

I chew down on the food in my mouth and we catch eyes. I blink once and my stomach flips painfully. Everyone looking between us like a fucking tennis match.