Chapter 14: The Northern Air Temple

A week later Chiara carried dinner to Zuko's room, and as usual, he took it from her at the door and carried it to the table. They ate and conversed together as was their custom.

"Uncle said you were steering the ship today," he said amused that she had done so.

"Yes. The helmsman's been very patient with me."

"Uncle said you're a fast learner. He said you'll be running the ship soon."

She let out a soft giggle. "Lieutenant Jee can keep his job. I just enjoy learning different tasks."

"You'll be the first Fire Lady to have been an officer if you enlist in the Navy," he said, trying to sound sincere.

He peeked up at her, but her expression became serious. "You shouldn't joke like that."

"You know I'm not joking," he said seriously. "You could even be an admiral."

She gaped at him and he cracked a smile. She could not remain serious hearing him joke with her and she laughed with him.

"My becoming an admiral is more probable than my becoming Fire Lady," she said. "I'm sure the Fire Sages will arrange a...a productive match for you with a prominent lady of Fire Nation descent."

Zuko's eyes fell back to his plate. The image of the scar that greeted him every morning filled him with sadness. "What prominent lady would want to marry a scarred prince?" he said dejectedly.

She reached across the table and tenderly lifted his chin to look in his golden eyes, and his heart melted at her touch. "This scar is a mark of your honor and love for your people. Any woman of the Fire Nation should be honored to have you as a husband."

He was stunned by her words and the sincerity of her tone and he felt so in love with her.

"You're the only prominent lady I want to be productive with," he said softly.

She blushed as she covered her mouth and started laughing which made him turn red and laugh as he realized what he had said. They decided to drop that conversation and finish their meal.

-------------------------------------------------

Months into Zuko's search for the Avatar, the ship was sailing eastward north of the Earth Kingdom. Early one morning there was a knock at his door. He immediately felt agitated since he barely finished dressing and it was too early for his breakfast to be served. He grumbled as he stumbled to the door roughly yanking it open ready to shout at the offender.

"Happy Birthday, my Prince," said Chiara sweetly holding a large plate of food.

His stern face softened when he saw her and was replaced with a gentle smile.

"Thank you," he said taking the tray from her.

She was holding a cloth-wrapped gift underneath the tray. His face lit up when he saw it.

"I made you hotcakes with sweet cream and ash banana bread, and there's a bowl of fruit," she said as she followed him to the table.

She lifted the lid from the tray. His heart stirred as he looked at the breakfast she had prepared for him, and his stomach started growling as he inhaled in the aroma. He knew she had to have risen early to make it and he felt grateful. She held out the gift in her hand. He beamed as he took it from her. Unwrapping it, he found it contained a large Fire Nation tapestry bearing two dragons with eyes the color of fire, not unlike his own golden eye color, creating a flame between them.

"Where did you get this?" he asked, the awe sounding in his voice as he held it up.

"I made it."

His eyes shone with the same amazement that sounded in his voice. "You made it? This is great. Thank you."