11. Crepe

Eager to sink my teeth into the delicious treat, I stepped out of the car with my crepe in hand. Nolan got out from the other side.

"I love whipped cream and strawberries," I said in my dessert-fueled bliss, biting into the crepe. "This is so good!"

"I know."

I leaned against the side of his car and tried to look around. The park was large, but everything was so dark that I couldn't fully appreciate the beauty of our surroundings. At least I could still look up and admire the twinkling stars that sprawled across the inky sky above us.

Walking around the car until he was next to me, Nolan reached out to take my hand.

I tensed slightly before remembering that nobody else was around to see us. I forced my body to relax, returning Nolan's gentle grip on my fingers.

He seemed to have caught on to my hesitance in handholding when others were present, which honestly wasn't surprising because he was so observant. However, Nolan never said a word about it. His only behavior that hinted at it was how he reached for my hand less in public nowadays.

My heart clenched at the thought.

As if on cue to give me the distraction I needed, an owl from afar hooted.

Reminded by it, I said, "I wonder how Blue is doing."

"I hope he's healthy," Nolan said, pulling me into his arms. "Maybe he has a family now."

My face almost met with his black T-shirt, but thankfully I managed to turn it away at the last minute. He released my hand to hold me closer with his other arm.

"Hey, watch it," I said, laughing. "I'm eating a crepe. Don't think you want me getting whipped cream on your shirt."

I took another bite of my snack under his arm.

"As long as you're the one doing it, I don't mind."

"Well, I do! That stuff is greasy, and your shirt's black. It's going to be so obvious and horrible."

"Whatever," he said, bending his head down to kiss my forehead.

I closed my eyes.

"Too bad you can't ask Mr. Lawson to check up on Blue."

Nolan's snort was so familiar to my ears. I only really got to hear it once we'd grown closer as friends, once I'd gotten past some of his walls. It was proof that he was comfortable enough around me. The thought of no longer being able to hear it pierced my chest with a sharp, lingering ache.

"Why is the image of him wandering around in the forest, getting lost, while calling out for Blue kind of funny?"

I grinned. "I can't picture Principal Lawson getting lost in any context. He doesn't look like the kind of person who ever gets lost."

Nolan caressed my hair. "That's because you're thinking of him as a principal. He's my dad. I don't see him the same way I see the other teachers."

"So, does he or does he not have a poor sense of navigation?"

"As my dad, he kind of does," he admitted, not even hiding the smile that came to his face. "But he says he's getting better."

"Good for him," I said. "It's dangerous to get lost that easily."

He rested his chin on my head. I kind of liked how pointy it felt on my head.

"I miss Blue, though," he said. "I wonder if he still remembers me."

"How can he forget? You took care of him when he was injured."

"For a week after I released him back into the forest, I didn't dare to venture near where I left him. I was secretly terrified that he wouldn't remember me anymore."