C H A P T E R 8 3

Katniss says goodbye to Cressida then turns to Pollux who signs something. "No words, never goodbye," Jessica translated as Katniss hugged him.

Jessica turns to say goodbye to Finnick. She grabs his shirt, careful not to hurt him just as he had when she returned from the Capitol, and placed a gentle kiss to his lips. That kiss said more than any words could've.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" Finnick says, his voice shaky with worry and pain. She nods. "Promise me?" His voice cracks.

"I promise," she placed a hand on his cheek and he leans into her touch, kissing the palm of her hand. "I love you."

"I love you too, Princess," he looked into her sodalite blue eyes for what could be the last time. His tone was sad and worried, he didn't bother hiding his emotions; he knew she could see straight through him, every emotion evident to her in his sea-green eyes.

Katniss, Gale and Jessica joined the crowd, blending in perfectly, as they followed the families towards the mansion.

As the three get closer, they notice the peacekeepers checking people, moving their hoods and looking at their faces. The trio turn to head in the other direction but a few peacekeepers were walking behind them. Just as a peacekeeper placed their hand on Katniss' shoulder to spin her around, an explosion goes off as the rebels shoot the peacekeepers and the citizens crouch to the ground holding their heads.

Innocent people died alongside the peacekeepers and rebels. The only sounds were the scared screams of capitol people, angry screams of rebels, aggressive explosions and bullets ricocheting off of walls and buildings.

The trio hop a barrier and run through the scattered crowd, dodging bullets on their way.

Gale is taken by peacekeepers as Katniss fails to shoot him and Jessica is still on the ground, pushing herself up to lean against the flipped vehicle with Katniss to catch their breaths.

Katniss and Jessica push forward, pushing through the crowd of colourful hair and expensive coats as they make their way to another vehicle. Katniss climbs up, closely followed by Jessica.

Children are carried forward and separated from their parents.

A Capitol hovercraft flies overhead, dropping spherical containers with parachutes and a familiar chiming sound- sponsor gifts.

Just as they were about to come into contact with the greedy hands of the innocent Capitol citizens, they exploded.

They weren't gifts, but bombs, killing innocent children and parents: leaving children orphaned and parents childless.

The dead bodies of the children weren't the only thing the two girls spotted, "Prim? Primrose?" The younger Everdeen turned and began to speed-walk towards the two, further from the 'gifts'.

Another explosion goes off, sending the Victors backwards. Katniss lay on the floor, her coat on fire, whilst Jessica was launched further backwards into a truck. Her back collided with the truck before she fell to the ground. The last thing she saw was flames and smoke surrounding her as she gave in to the darkness, letting it consume her.

AN: will Katniss and Jessica be okay? Prim?