Clingy

Y/N POV

You were at your boyfriend's house, excited to show him the gifts you brought over. Recently, he's been very busy with work and hanging out with his friends that you barely got to see him. When you did, he was always on his game completing an "important" mission. Let's not get it wrong, you loved that he had his own hobbies. It's an important factor in maintaining a healthy relationship but not at the cost of the time you spend together. One day you left, frustrated that he kept continuing the game even though he promised he would be done soon. You know what the kicker was? He didn't even notice until three hours later. That had upset you, of course, but you didn't let it deter you away from spending time with him. Which is what led you here.

You've been waiting in his room eager to show what you brought with you. He's been downstairs with a friend, going over some plans. He told you it would take some but you had brushed him off and insisted that you would wait upstairs. You lifted your wrist to look at your watch, that was an hour ago. You grew anxious the more time that passed which is why your leg was bouncing, shaking the bed you were sitting on. You decide that you can't wait any longer and grabbed the gifts, heading downstairs.

You were halfway down the steps when you overheard him talking to his friend. "They've just been so clingy lately, wanting us to wear matching stuff. It's so embarrassing. I wish they would just stop."

"Matching? What are you, ten?" His friend snorted. "You need to nip that in the bud. Sooner or later they'll control everything you do and who you spend time with."

You heard a thump and assumed your boyfriend had hit his friend. "Nah, that won't ever happen."

His friend laughed and they continued to make fun of the ways you've been "clingy."

You look down at the matching shirts in your hands, something you had been excited to give him, and gripped them tightly. A tear slipped, staining the fabric.

You weren't dense. You knew matching couple outfits was something a lot of people found cringey but you found it adorable. The thought of having a shirt that matched with him gave you so much serotonin...or at least it did.

You held the shirts up against your mouth hoping it would help conceal any noises you were making. Your chest felt heavy as your heart shattered into pieces. It's true what they said. You never truly know someone until you do.

You quietly made your way back to his room, taking care to make sure sure the stairs did not creek. You grabbed your bag and went back down, clearing your throat. "Sorry. I have to go help my neighbour with something." You threw out the half-assed excuse and ran out the door.

You passed by a garbage bin and threw the shirts inside and started the walk home. It was then you fully let all the tears go. Damn, this hurts.