Do Better

Y/N POV

You were deep in thought, sleep having evaded you a while ago. The scene at the cafe has been replaying in your head over and over again. Should you have just asked for some time apart instead of breaking up with him completely?

Anytime you felt regret, his words repeated in your mind like a broken record, bringing all the pain with them. You thought the more time that went by the less it would hurt but the more you were apart from him, the more it hurt. You loved him. You loved him so much that it was driving you crazy that he wasn't here with you right now. Even now, as you lay awake, you missed him.

You had just rolled over when you heard a sound against your window. You hid underneath your comforter, convincing yourself it was just a branch but then you heard it again. It sounded like a rock. What? You quietly got up and peeked behind the curtain, startled by the face of your ex. You ignored his red rimmed eyes and the way your heartbreak raced and pushed the window open.

"What is your problem? It's-" You looked at the alarm clock on your nightstand. "Two in the morning!"

"Yeah. I know." He breathed out while he held onto your window sill. "Can you please let me in? I have to show you something."

Everything inside of you wanted to shut that window and go back to sleep but a small part part of you was also curious as to why he was here at this time. You moved back so he could hop in, executing the move perfectly and quietly.

"Well?" You crossed your arms.

His gaze seemed intense on your face so you decide focus on his shoulder instead. The loud sound of the zipper fills the room as he opens his jacket, revealing the shirt he has on underneath.

Your matching shirts.

You pointed at him. "I threw that out."

"You did. Then I had to inspect my trash because my neighbour is annoying and I found them. I'm going to keep wearing this. I have a lot more to say to you but now's not the time."

He pulled the other shirt from his pocket and placed it on your desk. "Here's yours. I washed them so they don't smell like garbage anymore."

You blinked.

He shuffled on his feet and zipped his jacket closed. "For what it's worth, I'm really sorry." He walked back to your window and proceeded to climb out.

You looked as he climbed down the tree and threw his own words back at him. "You're looking kinda clingy wearing that."

He eyes stayed on you, regret clear within them. "I deserved that." He looked down at his shoes. "It's a good thing that I only plan to get more clingy from now on." He saluted to you with a wave of his hand and ran off in the night, taking a piece of your heart with him.