Prologue

Prologue

I felt uneasy.

I tried to shake off the feeling but the emotion sank beneath my skin, curdling like rotten milk.

"Hey, are you feeling ok?"

I blinked. The feeling in my body dispersed into mist.

Magnus stared down at me, with a slight frown on his face. His familiar, dark brown eyes pinned me to the spot. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were nervous." He said, studying my expression.

"Don't insult me." I stood, dusting the bits of grass and sticks from my thighs. Magnus made a humming noise that sounded a lot like disapproval. I knew the man kept a close eye on me, to the point, he was beginning to so see through my carefully constructed façade.

"Are you worried about entering the Shadow Hunters?" He asked, sounding wary.

I wished that was the reason, but I couldn't tell him the real reason. Although Magnus had taken me under his wing in a roundabout way, he still didn't know me. He didn't know my age or where I'd come from. He didn't know anything about me, nonetheless something drew him towards me despite my unwritten story.

I'd come to learn that he had a son- Kian.

Sometimes he spoke about him and sometimes he didn't.

Sometimes, I wondered if he had kept me close because I somehow reminded him of his son.

At first, I'd thought he'd lost his son in the permanent type of way- the same way I had lost my parents. I'd never heard a man speak with so much regret and loss in his soul, I'd thought the worst had happened to his son.

It wasn't until the Bennett twins mentioned Kian's name in a conversation, claiming how much they wanted to choke the kid with his own leather bands, that I realised that this kid named Kian was still alive and breathing. I found out later that Kian was no longer part of the Blue Cave Pack but had become an Elite Syndicate Enforcer in the Shadow Hunters Pack.

The first time I'd seen Kian, I'd instantly recognised his dark, brown eyes he shared with Magnus. I thought their interaction cute when he had entered the caverns with the Alpha of the Shadow Hunters and also with the pink streaked haired woman- Penelope Rivers.

I swiped my finger along the sunflower charm on my bracelet a few times, feeling the familiar outline of the small metal. The sunflower charm wasn't yellow, but a deep, rich red. People usually referred to the red sunflower as the 'red sun'. The flower was quick to become my favourite thing in the world.

Penelope.

I took in a deep breath, exhaling. The fog was thick tonight, I could barely see beyond the first line of trees surrounding us. I knew further on, beyond the mist, the Shadow Hunters Pack resided on the land there.

"Mila." Magnus's voice startled me from my thoughts.

I sighed, hiding the charm beneath my sleeve. "Sorry, I'm distracted."

Magnus nodded. "It's ok to be nervous. I share the same sentiment. I've heard so much about the Shadow Hunters, yet I don't really know much about them. Even so, my son is there. I do believe him remaining there, is merit enough of the way they treat him."

I simply nodded. I didn't want to tell him that my uneasiness didn't stem from the Shadow Hunters necessarily.

There were a lot of things that made me uneasy.

Holes.

Naked mole rats.

Lying - I know. I was a hypocrite.

And most of all, Jamison Spencer.

The last time I'd seen him, he'd told me he never wanted to see me again.

I wasn't entering the Shadow Hunters to see Jamison Spencer.

I was entering the Shadow Hunters to protect the Alpha.

And seek redemption.