45

The woman in pink spoke with so much disgust that many of the people present couldn't help but laugh.

"When you think about it, it's true that His Majesty didn't select a single highborn lady. The King of Yue is really good—he went into battle personally and chose them for himself."

"The key isn't that he chose them, but that he hid his identity and deceived innocent women. It's really shameless."

Some of them had a good impression of the King of Yue and tried to excuse what he'd done.

"Did that woman speak up deliberately? She must have a grudge against the King of Yue and wants to smear him."

"The King of Yue is still a prince, no matter what kind of women he likes. It doesn't make sense for him to conceal his identity and meet the daughters of so many eminent families from the capital, right?"

"You're missing the point. There are men here too."

"When you put it that way, the King of Yue really doesn't compare to His Majesty."

"That's only natural. Otherwise, why would he still just be the King of Yue?"

The fact that Shang JunLin only wanted one person, Shen Yu, in his harem had left many courtiers dissatisfied, but it won him a particularly good response from the common people. Their emperor was affectionate and devoted and didn't hesitate to confront his ministers for the sake of love, which immediately gave everyone a more human impression of him.

In the past, all they heard about the emperor was how cruel he was and how many people he'd killed. It was frightening to listen to, but this was different. After hearing about it, people felt that the emperor had a heart. He fought for his lover like an ordinary man. Like anyone else he had seven emotions and six desires, not just bloodlust.

During all this, Shen QingRan hid in the corner and didn't dare to show his face. When he learned the true identity of the King of Yue, he was surprised, but only for a moment. He had no choice but to continue to watch the embarrassing situation in front of him.

At the same time, his jealousy of Shen Yu reached a peak. Why had Shen Yu met someone who was devoted solely to him, while the man he met was a master of fish farming?

Oh, nevermind, the King of Yue's fish pond had overturned, and he only had himself to blame.

Shen QingRan searched his memories, trying to understand how everything had gone so wrong. The King of Yue wouldn't be so stupid as to ask everyone to meet at the place.

It was a pity that no matter how much he thought about it, he never came up with an answer.

The King of Yue's face turned red, then white, as he listened to the crowd's chatter. The most unbearable thing was being compared to Shang JunLin, especially when he himself was the negative example!

His eyes went to each of the people around him, seeing their mouths open and close, speaking the words he least wanted to hear. He wanted these people to shut up, but when he tried to speak it was like he'd lost his voice.

What was he going to say?!

What could he say?!

In the midst of his panic, he suddenly thought of something and stared in the direction of the woman who'd revealed his true identity just now.

She was wearing a long, light blue dress and a matching cinnabar hairpin. Her small face was pale and pitiful.

Wrong!

The fog in his mind dispersed as though with a blade of light. The King of Yue calmed down and observed the woman carefully.

As if frightened by his gaze, she shrank back.