(I) Chapter 10 - What it's like

"Fumia-chan, the girls and I will be going to a family restaurant, wanna join us?"

"Sorry, I need to go home right now."

"Are you sure? We'll be in high school soon. Don't you want to make some memories before we graduate?"

"I wish I could but I really can't. I'm sorry."

"That's alright. Maybe you can come with me next time?"

"Yeah, I'll try."

"Okay then! See you!"

"See you."

I waved goodbye to my classmate as I prepare to head home. After some time, I finally arrived. My mother isn't home at this point since she's working and father died due to sickness.

"I'm home! How's my little sister doing?" I cheerfully smiled as I ran toward my sister.

"Onee-chan, you're final—" she wasn't able to complete her sentence due to her coughing.

"Hanna, don't push yourself too much. You need some rest okay?" I place my hand on her head.

"I understand Onee-chan. Sorry for making you worry."

"No, it's alright." I smiled at her. "Onee-chan's here to take care of you, alright?" I gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Have you eaten already?"

"Yes, mom left me something to eat earlier."

"That's good to hear. Let me get changed and we'll watch some movies."

"Really? Can I watch some Marvel movies again with you tonight, please?"

"Sure! I know you love watching those! Let's do that!"

"Thank you Onee-chan! Anything for you!"

I proceeded to get changed. Hanna is my little sister. I always take care of her every time I get home since mom isn't home all the time. Hanna was born with a lung condition it's something she inherited from dad. Doctors said that it's something that can be fully treated if a lung transplant can be done. But doing so will cost a lot of money.

We're not born into a rich family. That's the very reason why my mother work herself to the bones just so Hanna can get some treatment since the Surgery isn't something that can be done yet. In the meantime, Hanna is able to get some sort of treatment via breathing through an Oxygen tank. But even this costs a lot. 

That's why, after I graduate from middle school, I will work part-time so I can save money for her transplant. I want my sister to live a normal life so she can be like any other child who can play outside, go to school, make friends, and enjoy life.

After I got changed, I head back to Hanna's room. I turned on the Television and the DVD so we can watch her favorite movies. She can't really go outside like any normal person would do to avoid any complications. It just pains me to see my sister not being able to go to school because of her condition. This is my own way of making her happy; the two of us watching together before she takes some rest.

"Hanna, this would be the last movie for tonight, okay? You'll need to take some rest."

"I understand Onee-chan." She smiled at me.

"That's my sister." I smiled back.

The movie ended and I put Hanna to sleep. Once she's already sleeping, I will proceed with doing my homework. I'm at the top of our class and I want to make it stay that way so it would be easier for me to get into high school. If I'll do well in school, it will help mom especially if I can get some sort of scholarship at a University, years from now.