4 | First Impressions

A/n: I will be trying to use "she/they" pronouns for 'Casita', since I know that "La" in "La Casita" is feminine, right? But Casita itself doesn't have a gender because they are the house. So I thought it would make sense to use "She/They" when addressing them. I hope it isn't too confusing...

Your Author,

-Jenna

Slowly, ever so slowly, Emil began to stir a bit from his peaceful rest. He gently tried to rub the sleep from his bright, honey-brown eyes, but he was still really tired. Whatever he was laying on was extremely comfortable. It smelled nice, too, and was fluffy. He ended up almost going back to sleep because it was so comfy.

It took him a full five minutes to realize that he was not in the forest anymore.

"Ah!" He yelped as the realization hit him. He almost lost to the sweet temptations of sleep... again! He tossed the super-soft blanket off of him in a hurry, noticing another thing that was different.

He wasn't in the same clothes he'd been in before. But he was glad that he still had his little red ruana. It was his Papi's. He loved this ruana. When he continued to look himself over, he noticed that he was clean! All of his little cuts were gone!

"Leti, look! All of the ouchies went away!" He exclaimed happily. "...Leti?" He looked to his side, where Aletia always was when he woke up, only to find an empty bed. He was the only one in the room at all; a nursery. There were faded alphabets on the walls, colorful walls.

He was in a strange house with colorful walls.

His happiness vanished instantly.

He scrambled to get out of the enormous bed. Shakily, he stood on the hardwood floor. With every breath he took, his panic rose.

Memories of that day flashed through his little mind.

The last time he saw his Papi.

He remembered that day very clearly, too clearly.

He had suddenly awoken in an unfamiliar house just like this one. Some meanies had snuck into their home and taken him away, tying him there so he couldn't run away. It had colors on the walls as if they had tried to make it look normal, but they were muted to a gray in his eyes because of how ominous the place felt.

A house with colorful walls, just like this one.

Leti had taught him how to signal her whenever something was wrong. Even when she wasn't using her power, she'd be able to sense it and come for him. Trusting his sister unquestionably, he did that signal.

He cried and screamed so that she would hear him. He was scared, sure. His ouchies hurt a lot. But he knew in his heart that Leti and his Papi would come for him. They always did, they were always there. They were family.

But that time... that time was different.

In a house with colorful walls like this one, the bad people had waited for Leti and Papi to come for him. When they arrived, just as he knew they would, there was a malicious smile on their faces as they retreated into the darkness of night.

In a house with colorful walls like this one, the bad men had drenched the walls and floors in a strange liquid that smelled funny. They left the moment his family got there, waiting in the darkness for them to set him free.

Emil had been so happy to see them at that moment that he didn't notice the bad men returning. They hadn't run away like they usually did when they were found.