C H A P T E R 7 7

A little while later, everyone is helping themselves to the food available, having completely raided the cupboards and fridge. For some, this was the first time eating good food.

Jessica sits between Finnick and Peeta, twisting her wedding/engagement ring on her left ring finger absentmindedly as she lets herself get lost in her through. She doesn't even realise when Finnick starts rubbing circles on her bouncing knee. The Panem anthem playing brings her out of her thoughts as their faces are shown on the screen followed by the single boom of a canon as if they were in the arena. The familiar sound sent shivers down the Victors spines.

The names and faces of Cressida, Castor, Pollux, Messalla, Finnick (earning a smirk), Jessica, Peeta and Katniss.

There's a moment of silence which Jessica breaks in a successful attempt to brighten the mood, "kinda freaky, seeing your own face on their. Always thought I'd be too dead to see that." Her comment earned a few snickers, even a smile from Katniss.

Then Snow's voice could be heard as he appears on the screen in a blue suit equipped with the usual white rose. No one, not even Jessica, could brighten the mood with that man on the screen. "So, Katniss Everdeen, a poor unstable girl with nothing but a small talent with a bow and arrow is dead. Not a thinker, not a leader. Simply a face plucked from the masses. Was she valuable? She was extremely valuable to your rebellion, because you have no vision. No true leader among you. You call yourselves an alliance, but we all saw what that means. Your soldiers are at each other's throats."

Snow's face is replaced by Coin's as she takes over, "for those of you who don't know me, please allow me to introduce myself. I am President Alma Coin, leader of the rebellion. I have interrupted a broadcast from your president in which attempted to defame a brave young woman. A face picked from the masses, he called her. As if a leader- a true leader- could be anything else. I had the privilege of knowing a small town girl from the Seam in District 12 who survived the Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell, and rose up and turned a nation of slaves into an army. Dead or alive, Katniss Everdeen will remain the face of this revolution. She will not have died for nothing." Katniss sarcastically mumbled something about not knowing how much she meant to Coin. "Her vision and ours will be realised. A free Panem with self-determination for all. And in her memory, we will all find the strength to rid Panem of its oppressors. Thank you. Be safe." The screen changes to Katniss and the Panem symbol with the words 'remember the Mockingjay' accompanied by the mockingjay whistle.

"Snow's in his mansion. Where is that?" Katniss places the hollow on the large, low table in the centre of the room as it projected a map of the Capitol.

Cressida points out us and the city circle. "It's at least 70, 75 blocks north."

"75 blocks?" Finnick asks, shocked. Cressida nods in reply.

Jessica let's out a mix of a sigh and a scoff as she nuzzles her head into Finnick's shoulder, mumbling "75?! You're having a laugh."

Her comment caused the people close enough to hear (that being Finnick, Leah and Cressida) to chuckle.

"Nobody knows we're alive," Katniss refocuses the group, "this is our chance."

The group discuss plans, eliminating the idea of streets and rooftops leaving them with one other possibility. Pollux signed the idea to his brother, Castor.

AN: if you recognise reading this chapter, it's bc I already included it in the last one (before splitting it into two chapters bc it was long) so I have now edited it, sorry abt that lols