43. Struggle

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I sat silently in my seat next to a long table in a backroom of the Great Hall, holding a cup of hot chocolate in my hands. Well, it wasn't that hot anymore. I kept forgetting I had it because of the million things going through my head.

It was hard to wind down after the enemy attacked our lands.

A moment later, a very low sound filled the air somewhere far away. I could only describe it as the lowest sound of a bass, something I was barely able to hear but definitely could feel, and it slowly rose higher, becoming clearer to the ear, then faded completely. My entire body was in goosebumps.

I wasn't the only one who heard it. I saw bewildered looks all around me.

"The wards came back up, that's all," I informed the rest, and they relaxed.

None of us liked how easily our enemy had destroyed them. Everything that had transpired only a few hours ago had brought our already low morale crashing down. The enemy could defeat us easily, but for now, he was only toying with us. Like we were his toys. What could we do when he decided he'd had enough with us?

'You think too highly of him.'

I couldn't help the gasp from escaping my lips at the sound of Cameron's voice. I had not forgotten he was now with me, but still, he managed to spook me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, and all eyes in the room were on me.

He didn't reply to me right away. I could feel the torment his soul was in. The corruption was fighting hard to gain control over him. I pressed my hand on my chest, feeling helpless as I watched him struggle. Cedric was there, too, whispering good things in his ear.

And so was Hades' Echo, and the dark side of it was helping Cameron's corruption. It was gaining power from it.

He will tear your soul apart...

Maybe, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

Cameron heard that thought.

'He's... not greater,' he finally muttered. 'All he has... is his many toys...'

"Greater?" I repeated with a frown, but Cameron didn't need words to describe what he meant. I could feel what he meant.

"So he's just another god," I muttered. "With toys."

"Is he talking about our enemy?" Aurora asked, stepping closer to me.

I nodded. "He's like the other gods, but he has gathered a massive arsenal of artifacts."

"An arsenal we can't encounter," Aurora muttered. "But I do admit, it eases my mind knowing he's nothing we haven't encountered before. He only has better weapons."