six: to the face

"Wow, did someone not sleep?" Rue's voice asks as Y/n turns her head towards the girl

"Wow, did someone not sleep?" Rue's voice asks as Y/n turns her head towards the girl. "Oh god, you look like the walking dead." A slight chuckle escapes Rue's lips at the comment she made as Y/n rolled her eyes shaking her head from side to side. She turns away from Rue, looking back out and letting her eyes scan the area. "Seriously, you didn't sleep?"

"You know I don't Rue," Y/n responds, calmly.

Rue shrugs. "I just thought it'd be different. We're in a safe house with a bunch of people. You have slept."

"Right. Just sleep peacefully like you after what has happened. I can't and you know that."

"Y/n, if you're talking about the fire-"

"I'm talking about all of it Rue. Everything we've done. What he's made us do," Y/n cuts Rue off, the more she spoke the lower her voice got. Rue stood beside Y/n, tilting her head and squinting her eyes. Y/n shakes her head, clenching onto the shot gun. "Just because you're able to sleep and live with everything doesn't mean everyone else can."

"Oh my god. Come on, you have to grow some thick skin, Y/n."

"Thick skin?" A chuckle escapes Y/n's lips shaking her head. "Before you came along Rue, I watched someone get eaten alive by one of those walkers. I walked away and left her for dead. I'm walking around with a lot of guilt and regret because of this damn group."

"Then stop walking around with the guilt and regret. This is just how it is nowadays Y/n. It's how we survive." Y/n swiftly spins on her heels and locks eyes with Rue's.

"Life shouldn't be about surviving Rue, that's the point. It should be about living, but we can't even do that."

"What do you suppose we do? We have an obligation to this group Y/n, you more than anybody. Fredrick took us in, provided us a home."

"A home? That's what you call that place?"

Rue bites her lip, flicking her eyes back and forth between Y/n's eyes shaking her head. "Where is all this coming from, Y/n? Does it have to do with this group? With that girl Alicia? You two seemed awfully close yesterday. Went off on your own. Hell, you went and got her real late at night. Where'd you go?"

"It has nothing to do with them Rue. I've had these thoughts for a while now and secondly how'd you even know-"

"I was awake Y/n. I heard you two. I told you to get close to her, but it seems like-"

"Y/n! Rue!" Someone shouts cutting Rue off. Both of their head's snap to the side, to the source of the voice to find Travis motioning for them to come on. Y/n ran her hand over her face shaking her head.

"We're not taking anyone from this group Rue. We need to leave, I'll take the fall for it, but there's others out there," Y/n speaks, her voice low before heading away from Rue. Rue tilts her head, watching Y/n walk away for a moment. The brown eyed girl squinting her eyes, her mind running but says nothing and follows after Y/n. The two get to Travis and he heads inside where everyone was gathered.